So pitch your theory!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yep, I saw that show too. Very sad, but I was also aware of the situation, so no surprise there. Although it was the first time that I heard confirmation on television that 1. the toxic accumulation is happening in our children too and 2. the native peoples who eat the same foods as the orcas are having high rates of these same problems.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Oh -- I can't remember if it was the same show or a related one where they talked about glaciers melting and the impact on everything downstream. They focused on the Himalayans and the Ganges River. It was a little hard to watch, but I have heard people say it is better to be aware, even if it is depressing . . . it is better for your sanity to at least know what is going on, instead of denying it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I agree with you FarmerChick, I think it is already too late now. I'm just glad I don't have kids. I don't have to feel bad about what they may suffer.
If half of the predictions of planet destruction I heard during my school years had come true, we would have all been dead in the mid-80's.

Reaction score
It's a moot point anyway. Obama is going to get the ball rolling. He believes in science and the scientist that aren't on the oil company pay rolls say global warming is a real problem. So hopefully they can get it cleaned up before the planet is totally trashed. Then when I'm a 100 years old I can say. Man there was always people saying we were going to destroy the world and it's still here.

Hopefully I'll be able to say that.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Then when I'm a 100 years old I can say. Man there was always people saying we were going to destroy the world and it's still here.

Yes, that would be nice. I'd also like to be able to see glaciers in North America when I'm that old. I mean photos, because by then I wouldn't be able to see them in person anymore.

Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Big Daddy said:
Then when I'm a 100 years old I can say. Man there was always people saying we were going to destroy the world and it's still here.

Yes, that would be nice. I'd also like to be able to see glaciers in North America when I'm that old. I mean photos, because by then I wouldn't be able to see them in person anymore.
Aren't those supposed to be gone in another 10 or 15 years?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Oh -- I can't remember if it was the same show or a related one where they talked about glaciers melting and the impact on everything downstream. They focused on the Himalayans and the Ganges River. It was a little hard to watch, but I have heard people say it is better to be aware, even if it is depressing . . . it is better for your sanity to at least know what is going on, instead of denying it.
yea I saw that show also. it is scary when we do hear real facts...but as always, at least the future isn't set in cement, yet!!

I don't know, sometimes it is better to deny things...LOL-LOL--helps me keep my sanity..HA HA HA

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I agree with you FarmerChick, I think it is already too late now. I'm just glad I don't have kids. I don't have to feel bad about what they may suffer.
If half of the predictions of planet destruction I heard during my school years had come true, we would have all been dead in the mid-80's.
these aren't asteriod predictions and such ....this is chemical destruction etc. of resources. if no real big time change, the inevitable will happen. death of resources...simple as that. tomorrow, no, but yes, it will happen. you can't deny it truly.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I just heard about a huge glacial bridge, or something like that, in the Arctic cracking up. What's really disturbing is that things are moving much more quickly than scientists had predicted a decade or so ago. And scientists tend to be pretty cautious creatures. I just wonder what it will take to get people to be willing for dramatic changes.

So, since money seems to rule the world, I have tremendous hope that it will lie in gov't economic incentives and disincentives. Or some really smart Americans, Canadians, Indians or ANY clever entrepreneur working hard in their garage to come up with a great way to create energy from something abundant.

But, as Pat has pointed out, tremendous scaling back of our consumption could at least slow this train down.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
these aren't asteriod predictions and such ....this is chemical destruction etc. of resources. if no real big time change, the inevitable will happen. death of resources...simple as that. tomorrow, no, but yes, it will happen. you can't deny it truly.
I am not talking about asteriods...I am talking about....

The great top soil crisis
The acid rain crisis
The population crisis
The air pollution crisis
The landfill/garbage crisis
The ice age crisis
The fossil fuel crisis (Jimmy Cater era version)

These are just the ones I can remember off the type of my head. All of these were supposed to have wiped out civilization 20-30 years ago.