Soap Making 101

Morgaine

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I'm the one who asked about the "fragrance oils"...
I did write to the manufacturer of the oils but haven't heard back. They were meant for burning in one of those fragrance burners. My daughter was really into that for awhile and then her burner broke and she doesn't feel like replacing it, so she has all these oils.

I suppose I could just scent the air....I have a woodburning stove and I put scent into some old fashioned iron coffee kettles (that we never drink out of, of course).

I was more interested in making soap though!
I would not use it for soap, period. But you don't have to toss it. How about you make popouri(I know that is spelled wrong, too tired to fix it) and scent it with that? Or if you can get it locally, crushed corncob makes great air freshener, just pour the frarance over and let it soak in. Put a little on your air filter in your house. You don't have to waste it, but please don't use something that you do not know is safe for soap either, and I think that would be even more important because of your allergies.

Are you a member of Back Yard Chickens? We have a big soapmakers thread on there under hobbies. A lot of info about fragraces. And there is also a thread I started that has a huge list of companies with fragrances and essential oils just for soap making. Maybe check it out. Here are a few of my favorite places.

Brambleberry
Southern Garden Scents
Essential Oil University
New Directions Aromatics
Wholesale Supplies Plus ( they have free shipping on all their fragrance and essential oils!)
The Scent Works

There are a ton more out there, but these will get you started. Everyone needs to be very careful that the fragrance they use is skin safe. Some scents are not(usually ones for candles) or the are but only at a very small percentage that it is not worth it to use in soap because there will not enough scent. Artificial Cinnamon scent is one that is very hard to get in a skin safe grade. I do not mean to make it seem like I am lecturing you at all, I just want to make sure that you don't do something that might hurt you.

Morgaine

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
grannyB said:
Morgaine said:
If it is clear, then it is most likely and melt and pour pour. Do you have the ingredients for it?

You can make transparent soap with the CP method, but when I hear that a soap is clear, 99% of the time it MP. Not that there is anything wrong with that. I think that Brambleberry has an Olive and Aloe soap base, or might be Elements. Can't remeber right off the top my head.
If it is a MP soap I may have trouble trying to duplicate it. The ingredients listed are olive, aloe, and glycerin. I'm assuming the olive is olive oil. I also bought a Honeybee Soap that lists glycerin, honey, and beeswax. DH is using this one. Also have a Patchouli (sp?) bar that I use by the kitchen sink. Don't like that one so well.

BTW, the Olive and Aloe bar seems to be a rather soft bar, but I haven't used enough homemade soap to make a good comparison.
Hmm, somebody did not list all their ingredients when they sold that to you. You can not just mix Olive Oil, Aloe and Glycerin and magically have soap!

But, I would bet money that it is MP, which means that if you wanted, you could make that soap, you would just have to buy the same base.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
freemotion said:
If you are making the soaps because you and your loved ones are sensitive to chemicals.....well, I'd toss those in the trash. Fragrance oils are very poisonous, they are just chemical soups. I got suspicious when you said the company had ignored your request for more information.

Have you ever been near REAL lavendar, or real, pure, lavendar essential oil? Years ago, I thought I was allergic/sensitive to all scents, then I met an aromatherapist and was happily set straight. Now I enjoy many wonderful fragrances in my home and in my massage therapy office. It was the chemicals and solvents used to make artificial fragrances or to extract plant fragrances that was the problem. As long as I use only pure essential oils, I am just fine. They are also used medically in some European countries!
Unfortunately I have vertigo attacks and hearing loss brought on by my allergies (Meniere's disease). I was actually working with lavender plants and in the middle of it had to go in and wash it off. My skin was all rashy and then I had one of my vertigo attacks, so that was a pretty clear sign to me I had better stay clear of that lavender patch. I didn't have to ask my allergist to test me on that one but I sure wouldn't want to wash in lavender soap.

I see so many soap recipes that use lavender and chamomile. My allergist told me to stay clear of chamomile too.

I'm sure you are correct however, that the chemicals and solvents are more irritating, especially for someone like my husband. We are making (and loving) the homemade laundry soap too. But in my first two batches of soap, we just used a tiny bit of fragrance, like 1/2 ounce to three pounds, and that was perfect.
Oh, that stinks! :p I, too, am allergic to some things that are "healthy" and it is frustrating.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Morgaine said:
savingdogs said:
I did write to the manufacturer of the oils but haven't heard back. They were meant for burning in one of those fragrance burners. My daughter was really into that for awhile and then her burner broke and she doesn't feel like replacing it, so she has all these oils.

I suppose I could just scent the air....I have a woodburning stove and I put scent into some old fashioned iron coffee kettles (that we never drink out of, of course).

I would not use it for soap, period. But you don't have to toss it. How about you make popouri(I know that is spelled wrong, too tired to fix it) and scent it with that? Or if you can get it locally, crushed corncob makes great air freshener, just pour the frarance over and let it soak in. Put a little on your air filter in your house. You don't have to waste it, but please don't use something that you do not know is safe for soap either, and I think that would be even more important because of your allergies.

Everyone needs to be very careful that the fragrance they use is skin safe. Some scents are not(usually ones for candles) or the are but only at a very small percentage that it is not worth it to use in soap because there will not enough scent. Artificial Cinnamon scent is one that is very hard to get in a skin safe grade. I do not mean to make it seem like I am lecturing you at all, I just want to make sure that you don't do something that might hurt you.
Just a quick thought on this....the most efficient way to get oils into your bloodstream is through diffusion and inhalation. The second is through the skin, especially the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet. Both of these methods will get oils into you more quickly than eating them! So if it is not something you want on your skin, you definitely don't want to be breathing it in.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Morgaine said:
savingdogs said:

Are you a member of Back Yard Chickens? We have a big soapmakers thread on there under hobbies. A lot of info about fragraces. And there is also a thread I started that has a huge list of companies with fragrances and essential oils just for soap making. Maybe check it out. Here are a few of my favorite places.

Brambleberry
Southern Garden Scents
Essential Oil University
New Directions Aromatics
Wholesale Supplies Plus ( they have free shipping on all their fragrance and essential oils!)
The Scent Works

There are a ton more out there, but these will get you started. Everyone needs to be very careful that the fragrance they use is skin safe. Some scents are not(usually ones for candles) or the are but only at a very small percentage that it is not worth it to use in soap because there will not enough scent. Artificial Cinnamon scent is one that is very hard to get in a skin safe grade. I do not mean to make it seem like I am lecturing you at all, I just want to make sure that you don't do something that might hurt you.
Yes, Morgaine you have corresponded with me on BYC under the name Arin the chicken lady, although recently I had them change me to savingdogs on all three so I would be the same person. I have read those threads, they got me into soapmaking!
I did use Brambleberry for my first fragrance oils and enjoyed the fragrances very much. I used Baby Rose. I'd like to find some Pachouli.

I always appreciate your help, you were talking to me about the crisco recipe.

Morgaine

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Morgaine said:
savingdogs said:

Brambleberry
Southern Garden Scents
Essential Oil University
New Directions Aromatics
The Scent Works

Yes, Morgaine you have corresponded with me on BYC under the name Arin the chicken lady, although recently I had them change me to savingdogs on all three so I would be the same person. I have read those threads, they got me into soapmaking!
I did use Brambleberry for my first fragrance oils and enjoyed the fragrances very much. I used Baby Rose. I'd like to find some Pachouli.

I always appreciate your help, you were talking to me about the crisco recipe.
Well, Hello again! LOL
I never made the connection that you were the same person! It is so much easier to have the same username at all places isn't it.

If you want patchouli eo, now is the time to get some because prices have dropped in like half the last 2 months. If you are looking at a fragrance oil, Rhonda at Moonworks Collection has the BEST patchouli fo I've ever smelled. No fake perfumey notes at all. Smells very real. I was using it as a blender with some other fo's when prices were so high. She also has some nice patchouli eo at a really good price and her shipping is always $6.

http://www.venusenterprises.info/Collection/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

grannyB

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have another question......

I was reading the thread at BYC and someone said their soap failed because they over insulated during the gel phase. I did not realize this was possible.

How much insulation does it need? Can it cool too slowly? Some instructions I have read say to wrap in a blanket and some say to cover with a towel. What do you all do?

Morgaine

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
grannyB said:
I have another question......

I was reading the thread at BYC and someone said their soap failed because they over insulated during the gel phase. I did not realize this was possible.

How much insulation does it need? Can it cool too slowly? Some instructions I have read say to wrap in a blanket and some say to cover with a towel. What do you all do?
Soap that overheats too much can seperate. Or it can even climb out of the mold and look all funky or crack.

How much insulation depends on a couple of things.

What molds are you using? Wood is a very good insulator, cardbord and plastic are not. If you have a wood mold, most of the time a blanket thrown over the top is all you need unless it is really cold.

What ingredients did you use? Milk, honey, oatmeal, juice (pretty much anyting with natural sugars in it) can cause over heating. If using a wood mold, I would not insulate a lot if using a lot of those ingredients. In the plastic milkyway molds, I would always add milk to my batches to help make it all gel.

Fragrances: Some Fo are big over heaters. When I make Earthen Oak, I soap dead cold and put in individual silicone molds and do not cover at all. I still get a full gel! :ep And Cinnamon eo is a big overheater too.

Temps while soaping. Here in Texas, it can get really hot during the summer and I do not insulate much if at all then. During winter though, because the down stairs was not heated, I would wrap my bigger molds in an electric blanket to force gel. With my smaller molds I put them into my oven which I preheated to 170 and then turned off. That way I don't get a partial gel.

I have gotten some weird brain looking waves a few batches that have overheated on me. And had a few cracked. There was a learning curve for me when I switched from wood molds to acrylic ones.

ETA, no you can not cool down too slowly.

Morgaine

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Here's another way of saying the same thing: The reason we use the calculator is so that ALL of the lye will react with ALL of the oil. If there is too much lye, the soap will be harsh and caustic, drying out your skin. If there is too much oil, the soap will be greasy and the unsaponified oils will go rancid, as they will if left at room temperature for a long time.

Exactly the right amounts of lye and oil will make perfect soap. You can get away with a little extra fat, which is what lotion is made of....so the soap will be milder and even moisturizing. This is called superfatting.

If you want to add essential oils for fragrance, you add them at the end of stirring, so that they DON'T saponify, and their fragrance will remain in the soap. It is during the stirring that the molecules of oil combine/react with the molecules of lye and saponify, or become soap.

Make sense?
I have to disagree with a couple of these. When superfatting, you need to take in account what oils you are using to determin what level you are going to use. Olive oil is so mild and moisturizing that I usually only use a 5% superfat. My basic recipe I use 8% superfat and when I make an all coconut bar, I use a 20% superfat. If your soap feels greasy and soft I would be more inclinded to think that it was not mixed well enough than your level of superfat, or the lye was old.

Fragrance oils and essential oils do not Saponify because they are not made out of fatty acids like oils. The chemical reaction between the lye and oils makes soap, the fo and eo are not chemically changed and are still present in the final product. Do not take into account the amount of fragrance you add when doing your superfat.

Some of my easy to soap eo/fo I add right into my pot of oils befor I add the lye. Keeps me from forgetting to add them and if I want to swirl saves me a little time.
If you are doing Hot Proccess Soaps the reason you add them after the cook is because the heat of cooking the soap can morph or even eat up the scents. Citrus notes are famous for that.