Soap Making 101

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Does it cost alot to get set up to make your own soap? I see on Craigslist that there is a soap making store going out of business, but their inventory is too much for a newbie like me.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd say to take it one step at a time. You'll learn and build your supplies as you're learning and getting better. You'll waste less money this way if you have accidents too. Test out with a soybean oil soap (vegetable oil), and you won't loose much if you goof it up.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Being a brand newbie, with my first batch just now dry enough to use, I can answer this :)

I used a large container of soybean oil that DH bought without thinking plus a $35 order for some palm, coconut & the lye. On most online stores, you can't just buy the lye, you have to buy some oils or scents due to drug concerns.

You can start out cheap, with low cost ingredients, before you venture off into oils & scents & exotic ingredients. That way you can get a feel for the process before you jump in.

Just my $.02.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I don't think I would like to have a store's worth of supplies! It is taking me awhile to figure out what I am doing myself, much less selling supplies to other people. What an investment if you decide you don't like it, or it isn't for you.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
valmom said:
I don't think I would like to have a store's worth of supplies! It is taking me awhile to figure out what I am doing myself, much less selling supplies to other people. What an investment if you decide you don't like it, or it isn't for you.
Hit the nail on the head there.

Visit aaa-chemicals.com for lye. You can get potassium and sodium chloride. Potassium is for liquid soaps. :)

Morgaine

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
grannyB said:
I have a question. I have been following this thread since it started but waited to make my own soap until I had other projects finished.

I bought several bars of homemade soap from a local soapmaker to see if I would like it. One of the bars she calls "olive oil and aloe." I love that soap!!!!

Does anyone use aloe? What form of aloe would you add? And would you add it after it traces? I need to do my own research but haven't noticed anyone mentioning aloe.

BTW, when we returned from Kansas City last Monday, my chin was all red, itchy, and raw feeling. I stopped using all the commercial face "stuff" and have just been using the homemade soap and a vitamin E cream for moisturizer. It cleared up in 3 days.

I had to get after DH this morning for using my soap. He is sooo cheap, I told him he would have to buy the next bars at $5 each. He about had a cow!!! :gig

He is definitely supporting my plan to make my own. He likes the soap, too.
I have made soap with aloe juice before. I just sub it for all the water in the recipe. Me personally, I did not notice that big of a difference of soap made with aloe and that made with just plain water. But, I think everyone should try it our for themselves and see what they like! Just be warned that it makes a neon gatoraid colored lye and makes slightly softer soap than all water.

I notice a much bigger differene when I add cream to soap. Sub out 1 oz of water with 1 oz of cream for each pound of oil you use. Making 3 pounds of soap? Use 3 oz cream. Lovely stuff!

Morgaine

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
I discovered soapmaking on BYC and was happy to find this thread over here too, what could be more self sufficient than making your own soap.

I'm on my second batch, love how it is coming out! I used the "easy crisco" recipe that is all over the internet and it came out great.

I want to make a shaving bar next for my hubby to use on his face and for shaving my legs as well. Everyone has been really liking my soap, it is excellent.

I have some "essential oils" my daughter is giving me that were for making your room smell nice in an oil burner. Does anyone know if these are safe for soapmaking? She has some nice fragrances and isn't into burning the oil in her house anymore so wanted to give me some or have me make her some soap from some.

How do I know what kind of oils I have, is there somewhere I can look up stuff like that?
Unless you know what exactly is in the oil, I would not use it. Better safe than sorry. I would contact the manufaturer, they are the only ones who can tell you for sure what is in there.

You should always make sure that you use pure essential or fragrance oils when making soap. And never put undiluted eo or fo directly on your skin, it can make you very sick!

If you want to add scent and don't want to order on line, look in your health food store for pure essential oils. Peppermint is a good one to start with, or eucalyptus, because it only takes about .25 oz ppo (per pound of oils in your recipe) and they usually do not cost an arm and leg. But stay away from wintergreen. It can be very toxic.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Morgaine said:
I notice a much bigger differene when I add cream to soap. Sub out 1 oz of water with 1 oz of cream for each pound of oil you use. Making 3 pounds of soap? Use 3 oz cream. Lovely stuff!
I have to agree here. My absolute favorite soap I've ever made had cream in it. I made it with and without the cream. With makes for a hard bar that seems to last forever, and it's so wonderful!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Morgaine said:
But stay away from wintergreen. It can be very toxic.
Welcome, Morgaine! But, please tell me this isn't so. I have been using wintergreen in my lip balms and absolutely love the stuff. Can you tell me more?

me&thegals

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Personally, I would use wintergreen as long as it is a pure, steam-distilled essential oil from a reliable company.

The amounts one would come into contact with in a soap or lip balm are negligible. No more than in something like BenGay or Lifesavers or Certs!

As for using EO's, many can be applied directly to the skin with no ill effects (other than skin irritation in some people), as long as they are appropriate for the person in the first place. In such amounts, you would not want to use them on pregnant or nursing women, or on anyone who is fragile in any way....unless you are a trained aromatherapist or herbalist. And essential oils should not be used with very young children or babies by the untrained. The amount in a soap is not a huge concern most of the time, as they are too expensive to use in inappropriate amounts in a soap.

EO's are much safer than toxic fragrance oils or even Crisco, for that matter. Used in amounts listed in standard recipes, you should be just fine. IMO.