Soap Making 101

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Where did everyone find their equipment at? I have been looking for a stainless steel pot and I have having a heck of a time finding one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Can you use a regular glass candy therometer or does it need to be one that is all metal?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I got my pot...a real cheap one....at WalMart or K-Mart or some such store. I've seen them at discount stores, too. Since you don't heat it much, it doesn't need to be a good one....I'd never cook in my soap pot, it is really thin and junky, but perfect for soap.

I use glass candy thermometers. They work just fine, the cheaper, the better. Whenever I am starting something new, I don't like to spend a lot of money in case I don't continue. I have made many batches of soap with the original inexpensive supplies, so worry not!

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Guess I will have to leave the house and go to the local Wally World and look. (I hate leaving the house :somad). Have you ever made the crock pot soap?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Nope. My soapmaking has been more basic, in my quest to do things close to the way my grandparents might have. I render beef and pig fat, add lye (and now goat's milk, even though they didn't keep goats) and no coloring or scent. My grandmother made it in a huge cast iron pot on a tripod over an open fire outside, but I won't be doing that anytime soon! :p

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
freemotion said:
My grandmother made it in a huge cast iron pot on a tripod over an open fire outside, but I won't be doing that anytime soon! :p
LOL And just why not? :lol: I won't be doing the cauldron over the fire pit any time soon either but I do want to try to make HP soap. Have you made any liquid soaps?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Nope, but I sure do want to! Imagine the possibilities! Liquid hand soap, dishwashing soap, shampoo.....

Grandma Goldie

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know, they are endless. If I could do it that would just be one more thing that I would know just what was really in it and one more thing that I would not have to buy.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I use the laundry soap recipe commonly seen on SS as dishwasher detergent too, seems to work fine. Either that or I mix equal parts borax and baking soda for the dishwasher. That is even better but I already have a big batch of the laundry soap all the time so the laundry soap is handier.

I want to make my own shampoo! I like very gentle shampoos however. Anyone here know how?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I think you use a olive oil castile soap for the base and then just basically make a liquid soap for shampoo.