Soap Making 101

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here's another way of saying the same thing: The reason we use the calculator is so that ALL of the lye will react with ALL of the oil. If there is too much lye, the soap will be harsh and caustic, drying out your skin. If there is too much oil, the soap will be greasy and the unsaponified oils will go rancid, as they will if left at room temperature for a long time.

Exactly the right amounts of lye and oil will make perfect soap. You can get away with a little extra fat, which is what lotion is made of....so the soap will be milder and even moisturizing. This is called superfatting.

If you want to add essential oils for fragrance, you add them at the end of stirring, so that they DON'T saponify, and their fragrance will remain in the soap. It is during the stirring that the molecules of oil combine/react with the molecules of lye and saponify, or become soap.

Make sense?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
There was a lot of info given in this thread OK, soapers, 2nd batch worked!!

Making soap can be very easy or very challenging depending on the recipe. That is one of the things that makes it so interesting for me. Easy to learn and be a success and yet an art that can expand as far as you want to take it. :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yes, that make total sense now. Thank you!

Does anyone have comments on the cost effectiveness of making soap? Assuming I choose simple recipes with no fragrance, how cheaply do you think I could do it per bar, let's say 3 oz for the sake of calculating.

How about that same bar with essential oils mixed in? Has anyone calculated their costs/bar?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I finally got all my soaps moved from the racks over the tub to above the garage. It stays cooler in this weather and no humidity.

I think I also found a recipe I like and has turned out 2-3 batches with consistent results. It stays in the mold for 24 hours and cures in 3 weeks. Now, I think I need to limit the fragrances to about a dozen or so.

I'm thinking about these:

Blackberry Sage
Cool Citrus Basil Twist
Cranberry
Jasmine Nights
Mango Mango
Rose
Lavender
Sandlewood
Cucumber Melon
Raspberry Kiss
Moonlight Path

I should probably add a couple that aren't floral. Any suggestions?

There is a lady that sells her soaps in one of the health food stores here. Hers are more basic or mountainy-country scents. I thought I might offer some that are more exotic and fruity.

me&thegals

Reaction score
punkin said:
I think I also found a recipe I like and has turned out 2-3 batches with consistent results. It stays in the mold for 24 hours and cures in 3 weeks.
Would you be willing to share this recipe with us?

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I don't mind at all.

Keep in mind these amounts are sized to fit my mold. Use the soap resizer calculator for the size mold you will be using. Remember, don't enter the water and lye amounts. It will do that for you.

This uses a superfat of 5%.

(all amounts in ounces)

Lard 14.17
Coconut Oil (76 degree) 5.67
Olive Oil 1.41

Lye 3.07
Distilled Water 7.16

ETA: lye water at 100 and oils at 110 to mix. I use a stick blender so this traces very quickly, like at about 8 minutes.

24 hours in mold, cure time 3 weeks

I add fragrances to my liking.

This makes 1 lb., 15.62 oz. of soap. It make a nice white color soap. I have yet to color it, but I think it will color nicely since there is little olive oil in it.

The last batch I subbed .7 ounces of Avocado Oil for .7 ounces of the Olive Oil.

Hey, FC. Do you see anything wrong with this recipe? Or any suggestions?

me&thegals

Reaction score
punkin said:
I should probably add a couple that aren't floral. Any suggestions?
I don't know if these are covered in your citrus-basil, but I'm always a sucker for lemon grass scented and orange blossom. Mint is another huge favorite.

I have a friend who does a chai blend. Maybe pumpkin pie or something similar for this time of year? I'm wondering if shredded cinnamon bark would be a nice abrasive texture for scrubbing...

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I did do some Lemongrass and Sage and I think it's about my fave so far.

I'm also still on the fence about continuing to make soap. I can't seem to get my coloring to come out right.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I very seldom bother to color mine.

I am far more interested in how a soap effects my skin than what color it is. IMO even fragrances are just an added nicety.