Soap Making 101

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
That sounds yummy! :drool

I used my Black Amber and Lavender soap today, the one that turned chocolate brown. Oh WELL, it has such a lovely scent, I feel like taking another bath.
Good to know. i bought that same scent and I havent used it yet. Glad to know it discolors so much.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
maybe i can rename the scent as comforting dark amber and just delete the lavender part. cus dark brown and lavender just dont mix. IMO.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
It doesn't really smell like lavender, it smells GREAT though. I love that scent. We bought about five scents and both Hubby and I drooled over that one. We may just use it all ourselves, but I had planned on using it as gifts. In my bars with the goat heads molds, the dark brown isn't so bad. But the floral molds I used look kind of hokey. If they were plain square bars that might be better, or maybe you could swirl a lighter color in or on top to make it look prettier. Since I know that further soap from this scent will be brown I'll just plan accordingly.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I made dark chocolate scented soap colored with cocoa powder. I didn't order the scent, chocolate soap is kinda creepy to me, but I wanted to try color and figured I'd start there. They turned out pretty good. They look and smell like brownies. I have a sheet of paper over the top with a note on it that says "Don't eat me. I'm soap" It's a good thing that I did that too. My neighbor watch my animals for me yesterday while we were at a wedding and said if that note wasn't there, he would have nibbled one LOL.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I agree homemade soap looks good enough to eat! I am going to try my Baby Rose scent on the next batch though, I used that before and it was my personal fav. I love the smell of roses.

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been wanting to try soap making for a while now. We have two big events coming up in the next few weeks. When those are over I think it will be soap make'n time! I plan to start with something very simple and basic. Don't want to waste money on scented oils until I have the technique down.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Lye is on sale right now according to the folks over at Soapmaker's Help on BYC.

Home made soap is pretty cheap if you use an inexpensive oil and no fragrance.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can somebody answer a question for me: Can you use the equipment you use to make soap with for other things, or - once it's used for soap - is that it?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Can somebody answer a question for me: Can you use the equipment you use to make soap with for other things, or - once it's used for soap - is that it?
No