Soap Making 101

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My stuff is all dedicated for soaping. It seems to me, however that you could clean it up and use it again for something else. After all it was just full of soap - right?

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anything that touches lye and lye water I keep strictly for soapmaking (aside from the stick blender - I have a cheap-o one I use just for mixing the soap). But I would tend to agree with FF, if you want to use the container that you mixed the soap in for something else, I don't see why you couldn't. (I'd be kinda iffy on reusing wood though, since it can have a crack or two and trap soap in it). Just make sure you clean it well.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just kind of worried. I found an 'easy' recipe to try out for my first batch, that's made in a blender. I really don't want to ruin my blender to use for anything else, though.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is not soap until it cures for about three weeks. Until then it has a lot of sodium hydroxide. I keep my soap stuff strictly separate from my cooking stuff. JMHO.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I can see that point as well, Free, but a glass or stainless vessel will not be absorbing anything. I would certainly scrub it out SUPER well and with lots of rinses.

If I were you, SSDreamin, I would just skip that blender bit. Go looking and you will find a cheapo stick blender (Emeril calls them a motor boat. :p). I believe I paid $15 for my first one on sale and under $25 for the second one. (I burnt the first one up by overheating it. :hide Remember motor some, spoon some, motor some. ;) ) Then you will have that tool for all of the future batches (and yes once you take the plunge there will be LOTS of future batches) of soap.

Remember soaping can be as expensive or a cheap as YOU choose. Lots of recipes call for inexpensive oils like Lard, Crisco or Olive Oil. You can buy the mixing pot at a thrift store, yard sale or on the cheap. (MY stainless steel stock pot that I use for soaping came from Big Lots on sale!) My silicon spatulas that I stir with also came from Big Lots. Check that yard sale for cheap Tupperware cake boxes, kitty litter pans or I even use those black plastic "ovenware" casseroles from Glad on occasion for primary molds. I use an old blanket or an old picnic cooler to insulate it. I use a couple of old sticks wound with coated jewelry wire for cutting it.

Each thing that you add to your "soaping kit" will start paying for itself from the very first bar of soap. :thumbsup

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm new to this, but I thought once it saponified it was "safe"? And it only cured to get harder and last longer? There's so much to learn! :barnie

On a different subject though, what does everyone prefer for their molds? I would like to get some wooden log molds, because I'd like to be able to slice each bar off the way you can with those. I'm not paying $40+ dollars for a pre-made wood molds, that's just outrageous. I'm visiting my dad tomorrow/Sat and we're going to make a few molds then. I was looking at these 4 lb molds . We'd make both ends removable, and make the slot for slicing bars. The cutter looks like a regular old dough cutter to me. :p

Does anyone use these type molds? If so, what do you like or not like about them? There are other styles out there too, so I want to make sure we make them correctly. :)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My first mold was an empty quart 1/2 and 1/2 carton. Just cut the top off, fill, set, peel the paper off and cut the bars. We have no shortage of quart cartons around here ;)

I keep all my soaping stuff separate- bought a cheapo ss pot at wal-mart, stick blender same place. Permanently borrowed my pyrex measuring cup for mixing the lye in as well as a little glass dish for weighing out the lye. My most expensive part was the scale also from wal-mart. I started with Crisco, olive oil, and canola oil because they were cheap and in my cabinet.

I have a question for soap experts- I made a few batches with peanut oil in it and like the bars. They came out creamier and harder than my usual bars. But it then occured to me that the peanut allergen might still be intact and I don't dare sell them. Anyone know if you get rid of the peanut allergen if it is saponified?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I'd be careful with that peanut oil one, people who have peanut allergies have really strong reactions. It is thoughtful of you to think that through, valmom.

Every soaping book I've read (and I've read several) carefully states to dedicate your things for soapmaking for soapmaking.

I found a cheap stick blender at the goodwill for 5.00. I found another for 5.00 as well and now we have a "spare" in case I burn one out. All of the bowls, pans, mixing stuff, measuring stuff, I found at thrift stores and such as well. It doesn't have to be expensive. My soapmaking tools are not attractive or matching and I just keep them all in a big box marked "for soap only".

I'm going to try Freemotion's method of using a (new) kitty litter box as a mold next time. She has some beautiful soaps she makes that way. I've also used a pringles can or other such items. If you leave off fragrance and color, you can make pretty inexpensive soap, even if you have to invest in the cookware items.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I also use a dollar store dishpan....that is what those soaps in those pictures were molded in. The catbox is bigger for a bigger batch. An 8-10 quart dishpan is perfect for a batch using about 5 lbs of oils.

If you want to make goat's milk soap, a plastic mold works better. The wooden molds will insulate the soap too much (perfect for all veg oil soaps, though, which need more insulation) and the soap will darken, and not necessarily evenly. I place the plastic mold on a cake rack on my cellar floor for even more air circulation and coolness in the summer. I do it in a cool room (not cold) in the winter. Veg oil soaps need warmth, goat's milk soap needs to be cooler.

You can get a cheap stainless steel stock pot at discount stores for maybe $12-15. These are not the type of pots I'd cook in, but are fine for soap.

I'm determined to make some shaving soap in a small batch as an experiment. My current plan (it keeps changing! :p ) is to get some big mugs from Good Will and pour the soap directly into the mugs to mold it. This will be just for gifts, not for sale, unless it works out really well then I may offer some for sale. The used mugs can be spun as a sales gimmick. :D

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I've read about the wood insulating too much for GM soap, but I want the consistency I can get with the wooden molds. I'm currently using plastic food storage containers, and I just don't want to use those for the soap I plan on selling. I want to be able to add things to the top of the bars, or do different color swirls for half, etc. I think I may chill the molds first, then put them right back in the fridge for the first 24 hrs and see how they hold up.

Latest posts