Soap Making 101

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sure can! Right now the "chunk" is a weird yellow color, but it will darken up in about a week. I'll try to remember pictures then! I'm going to try a tumeric colored lemon poppy seed soap here in a bit, once I feel like getting off my arse.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Made orange poppy soap colored with tumeric. It was supposed to be lemon poppy soap, but the 3g of tumeric per 21oz of oils was way too much and turned it orange! Guess I'll have to try a gram of tumeric next time and see what that gets me.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Soap making 101 question- I am trying to study and learn this soapmaking process...while still gathering all my necessary tools and ingredients. My DH wants to make me a wooden soap loaf mold, but I have no idea on what size. Is there a basic batch amount for new beginner soapers? I am still learning to read the recipes, watch you-tube videos on it, but haven't seen that info yet.

Question #2- I see so many recipes take multiple oils ...ie-olive, coconut oil, palm......all at the same time. I know there are reasons for this, not sure on the shy's and wherefores yet. I see that...a basic first batch attempt....might take several diff kinds of oil. This is all so new and confusing......but I think, if I can get it figured out....teach myself how o make soap.....it might be a great way to accomplish alot of things. Use my herbs, make crafts to sell to generate income, etc.......

TYIB...will be waiting patiently for any thoughts and replies. :pop

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You could start off with the crisco recipe. Just use crisco (or Great Value shortening) as your base. Gives you several oils in one to get the hang of it without all the extra measuring. However, once you get the hang of it, I do recommend coming up with your own recipe.

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I finally started off with the crisco recipe, then was able to move on to goats milk, adding honet and oatmeal, fragrance is still a bit of a mystery, sometimes it turns out and sometimes not. "the crisco recipe" is posted a few pages back when I was completely lost and confused trying to add my goats milk instead of substituting it.
Kristina

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Fragrances can be funny. Well, not the "haha" funny, but the irritating funny. Some speed trace and some will straight up seize your soap. Hence why my chocolate swirl soap is now chocolate "chunk" swirl lol.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you for all your input! I am still collecting ingredients and supplies. DH bought the hardware for the soapmold, yesterday....but his planer blew the impeller blade, so he has to wait on the new one to arrive.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow...everbody got busy with the holiday routine. My forums....at least here and the garden one.....are almost devoid of posts. I however....am still researching soap, as well as buying the supplies and ingredients to make it. Setting up my shop for my alterations biz.....taking care of the chickens and stuff that needs done around the Ranch here. I'm still here......I know the rest of the country is busy with christmas and such. :caf

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am busy conquering shampoo, making christmas presents and trying to get back surgery postponed til after Christmas. I CP'd some Shampoo bars yesterday. I am SO not a patient person, hate waiting the curing time. Have attempted dozens of liquid formula's. the other forum I'm on only use chemical this abd that and the other. Asking about a natural way really didn't work. still trying to figure out the meaning of syndet bars...as in What goes in them to make them syndet? and could a natural way be found? I cannot do the ACV and baking soda yet, still locked into need shampoo. My ancient cat disappeared and we wrote him off in time for him to return. He has sold his soul to the devil to keep living this long. My Lab has bad hips and his front leg is bothering him now too. He's 11. So we need to figure that out. It cold and wet here and my daughter is in Florida on vacation and I'm trying not to hate her:) She's been nominated for Air Force contracting Airman of the Year. (sorry had to brag:lol:

What are you all up to?
Krisitna

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
753_soap.jpg