Soap Making 101

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I entered the amounts they told me to use. and let the calculator figure the lye and water. Do you have a calculator that makes up recipes for you?

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi krisac, I'm sorry if I sounded like I was implying that you were being stupid, I certainly didn't mean to come off that way. :hugs I guess I was just looking at it from my perspective when I first started making soap. I didn't understand SAP values or lye calculators either. So, I checked out a book from the library, and found a simple recipe and started with that. I didn't substitute any ingredients or change proportions, because I just wasn't experienced enough to know how to yet. I followed the recipe exactly. After several successes and more research, it was then that I finally felt comfortable modifying recipes and using the calculators.

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi there! Anyone doing any fall type soaps? I get in the mood for the spice scents as the weather turns cooler. I have a chai latte EO blend that smells sooo good and I mix in some dry tea for a little interest in my good old CP recipe. I think I will put that one into the swap. Can't wait to see what I get! :)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Gallina Vecchia said:
Hi there! Anyone doing any fall type soaps? I get in the mood for the spice scents as the weather turns cooler. I have a chai latte EO blend that smells sooo good and I mix in some dry tea for a little interest in my good old CP recipe. I think I will put that one into the swap. Can't wait to see what I get! :)
That sounds like it will smell wonderful!

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Gallina Vecchia said:
Weeeelll, I just went and looked at the list. Looks like you will be getting some of that! :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Gallina Vecchia said:
I'm going to try some almond. It came as a free sample from Brambleberry, so I might as well make some. My husband said we should just rename it "Marzipan" to make it sound more exotic.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Gallina Vecchia said:
aggieterpkatie said:
Gallina Vecchia said:
Weeeelll, I just went and looked at the list. Looks like you will be getting some of that! :lol:
:lol: Sweet!! :weee

Gallina Vecchia

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah, I love soap that smells good enough to eat! That almond sounds great. Mmmm, marzipan. :) I used to buy a great licorice smelling soap that had poppy seeds in it. I like a little bit of scrubby, but not so much stuff that I find pieces of oatmeal or other weird things where they shouldn't be. ;)