Soap Making 101

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A LOT of people like my peppermint spearmint scrubby (poppy seed exfoliant) soap... Men and women alike. Spearmint Eucalyptus is another decent man scent.

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My son has THE WORST cystic acne. It looks like his chest and Back are covered in boils. I just hate the thought of putting him on the prescription cream...the one that's so nasty..Lord I'm a nurse you'd think I'd know the name. I'm not anti medicine...but that stuff makes me nervous. Especially when the doctor was hesitant to use it until all else failed. So I thought I could come up with something. I found a good page that might work too. Thanks.
BTW how do you post pic's??
Kristina

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
krisac said:
My son has THE WORST cystic acne. It looks like his chest and Back are covered in boils. I just hate the thought of putting him on the prescription cream...the one that's so nasty..Lord I'm a nurse you'd think I'd know the name. I'm not anti medicine...but that stuff makes me nervous. Especially when the doctor was hesitant to use it until all else failed. So I thought I could come up with something. I found a good page that might work too. Thanks.
BTW how do you post pic's??
Kristina
My son had horrible acne on his chest and back and face and he decided to stop eating wheat. He cleared up in less than a month. He has been off wheat for about 6 or 7 month now and while he eats it every so often his break outs haven't come back.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My daughter has bad acne ( not the cyst kind) and the castile with 5% coconut oil has really helped her a lot. My neighbor (in her 40's) has had acne all her life - until she started using my regular castile. She said this is the first time in her entire life that she has had clear skin.

krisac

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Will keep these suggestions in mind too thanks
Kristina

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My doctor prescribed a sulfur soap bar from the local pharmacy for acne. It was over the counter. Now I make my own. ;)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
So last night I cut the coffee kitchen bars (made with coffee as the majority of the liquid, and 2 oz goat milk). I mixed in coffee grounds and then sprinkled grounds on top of the soap in the mold. I should have frozen the coffee like I usually freeze the GM, but I figured it wouldn't burn because it wasn't milk. It got HOT and took FOREVER for the lye to dissolve, so I'm going to have to really be careful to make sure it cures properly before I can sell it. I'm hoping it'll still smell like coffee, but I think I should probably order some coffee scent.

I'm LOVING the scents I ordered from wholesalesuppliesplus.com. Every time I use a new one I think, "This is my favorite!" then I try another one and that's my new favorite!!! I haven't used one yet that I haven't loved. So far I've used Goat Milk & Honey, Lavendar Vanilla, Tropical Paradise, Berry Vanilla, and Lemongrass Verbena. Man, the Lemongrass Verbena smells heavenly!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
the two primary causes of horrible acne are a high glycemic diet or dairy. Usually it is the high GI diet, so that is a good place to start. Eliminating wheat would get the GI level down right quick.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
My plain old Crisco soap with goat milk and honey has been great for both my teenager's acne. I do add a little oatmeal, ground. I wish I made my own soap when my daughter was a teenager. I do also buy them a blackhead scrub from the store, but all our family skin issues have been lessened by the use of home made soap and home made goat milk soap.