Soap Making 101

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
You can use the "NATURAL" oils. Do not use "FLAVOR" oils. Naturals include peppermint, spearmint, clove, orange, lemon, lime, anise and maybe some others.
Thanks Bettacreek... I am just almost out of my mint EO.. I was thinking that it is time to go and buy more anyhoo!;)
I love the spearmint for soaps. but was thinking maybe a mixed spearmint and eucalyptus for the guys(and me lol) I still have enuf of the soap scent that I got for me -Almond honey. I also have natural lemon oil somewhere too.
Just didn't want to buy more EO this week..

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I watched a little clip from a history show the other night where a woman was making her OWN EO from mints and other herbs using a water distillation process.

Gives me something to get studying on! ;) Especially at the price most EO runs.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I watched a little clip from a history show the other night where a woman was making her OWN EO from mints and other herbs using a water distillation process.

That sounds like a great plan! I buy the bigger bottles of the peppermint/spearmint/euclyptus cuz when my sinuses are acting up I put a couple drops of each on an old wash cloth and put it in the bottom of the shower and when the water is nice and steamy I spritz the washcloth and it steams up into the shower nicely. then I can breath for about an hour! And I have spearmint and peppermint taking over parts of the yard.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Emerald said:
Farmfresh said:

I have spearmint and peppermint taking over parts of the yard.
Mee too! :D

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Koren licorice mint and lemon balm are duking it out on the other side! lol;)

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So, how difficult is it to make soap? I want to make some soap out of my comfrey leaves, as a way to keep the yearlong benefit of them, onc winter sets in and kills the leaves off. Also, are there any other skin products I can make from comfrey? I don't want to just freeze it, because I have been asked by others for something to use. One has eczema, so I would think a soap or a lotion would help a little bit. For relief. I have never made soap...and only recently mixed up a batch of powdered laundry soap from the posted recipes.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
So, how difficult is it to make soap? I want to make some soap out of my comfrey leaves, as a way to keep the yearlong benefit of them, onc winter sets in and kills the leaves off. Also, are there any other skin products I can make from comfrey? I don't want to just freeze it, because I have been asked by others for something to use. One has eczema, so I would think a soap or a lotion would help a little bit. For relief. I have never made soap...and only recently mixed up a batch of powdered laundry soap from the posted recipes.
I'm not sure about the soap. Here's a youtube video on how to make Comfrey ointment.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
http://www.soap-making-resource.com/natural-soap-colorants.html Scroll down to the comfrey. It is added as a colorant. I've gotten some cool ideas from this site.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
freemotion said:
http://www.soap-making-resource.com/natural-soap-colorants.html Scroll down to the comfrey. It is added as a colorant. I've gotten some cool ideas from this site.
That site has some neat stuff. I love the acrylic molds, but don't have the money to spend on them!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Searching and looking. I don't know how long I have on the comfrey plants. Before winter sets in and kills all the leaves.