Sodas

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I just wished I had my aunt's recipes. I got my aunt's pickle and beet recipes but her sodas went to the grave with her :(
Did you ask around the family if anyone got it from her? You never know.. :fl

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I very rarely drink a soda. There is nothing in that bottle or can that is good for you.
Is water kiefer like kombucha? I have tried kombucha and it is pretty yukky. I just can't do it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
kombucha on its own is kind of an acquired taste. I enjoyed it when I added some fruit juice to it when drinking it-- about 20% juice made a nice mix. Our favorite was cherry juice.

I had a friend that tried the water kiefer... she liked it, but quickly got overrun because she said she got a fresh batch every 2 or 3 days, unlike the 1-2 week schedule we found with kombucha.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kombucha and kefir taste very different. I've tried water kefir but haven't made my own. Only made milk kefir. The water kefir was pretty good.

I've been making kombucha for years now and love it plain. Hubby can't stand it. He can only handle it at all if I make it with matcha and green tea. It's too vinegary for him.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Even cutting it with fruit juice doesn't work for him. He can't even stand the smell.

I only run it for 8 days fermentation normally. I don't usually do the secondary fermentation, but it is more effervescent when you do that.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope. It's a controlled fermentation like how they make vinegar. There is bacteria and yeast in the starter and scoby. It also must start at a minimum acid level.

With a long fermentation and capped long secondary fermentation it is possible to get up to 5% alcohol. Normally it's around .5 to 1%

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nope. It's a controlled fermentation like how they make vinegar. There is bacteria and yeast in the starter and scoby. It also must start at a minimum acid level.

With a long fermentation and capped long secondary fermentation it is possible to get up to 5% alcohol. Normally it's around .5 to 1%

Oh wait a minute... If this that thing that looks like a waxy doughy muffin thing that grows on top of liquid. Then yes, I've drank some, I wasn't so impressed honestly, might as well drink some vinegar instead. Thanks but I'll stick to beer instead.

Latest posts