Solar heater/oven

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw this on Facebook tonight and thought what a great way to save energy and therefore money. I could see this being built out of scraps of glass or panels like this woman. It doesn't look too difficult as far as carpentry skills go. I recently watched a YouTube video JNULLO did on a power outage and was talking about having something like this recently installed and how good it worked. You could use it all winter long and turn down your thermostat to save money. I burn wood for heat so this would save me money buying wood or save a lot of backbreaking work out in the woods cutting wood. Simply turning over the bottom mat it converts from a heater collecter to a solar oven.
http://www.ecosnippets.com/alternative-energy/window-box-solar-heater/

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting and educational video on how to make a solar window heater on the cheap. Thanks.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's good to find something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and will save you money in the long run. I've been seriously considering building a solar oven, but this is better because it has a dual-purpose.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would do this -- probably will. LOL. One of my kitchen windows is on the south side, how nice for me.

Another thing that comes to mind, for ME, is that this would work, with the solar fans, in my chicken coop. I've thought about doing just the heater box on there -- with these fans it would still do well.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Heat in the chicken coup sounds great and no fire danger as with lights, heaters, etc.

Latest posts