Solar Oven

S

sunsaver

DesertChick said:
I received my Sun Oven several days ago and I love it! I baked several loaves of bread and also "slow cooked" a stuffed flank steak and a pot roast. Today's menu is meatloaf and potatoes!
That sounds so good! Im using my solar water heater to heat up an MRE military ration. I lifted the glass lid, and threw the MRE on top of the black solar heat collector. I expect to have a hot meal in about 20 minutes. :cool:

Riley103

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
FarmerChick said:
I heard they work wonderful also....never had one but will build one.
I have seen home built models side by side with mine. They do work! A poorly built one will collect at most 50% of the heat mine does. A good one can go 75% or more. The main issues are:

Can you actually get someone or yourself to build it? I asked DH if he wanted to build me one and he declined. I don't have the skills or inclination.

Do you have the materials? Probably scroungeable in most areas, glass and insulated box plus reflectors. Also nice to have a thermometer inside and some way to adjust declination (up and down not just side to side) to better face the sun.

Does it matter if it is portable or not? Most of the home built ones I have seen are limited portable. I like mine for folding up like a suitcase and brought in the house out of the weather. If you have a way to cover it or protect it in place from wind, hail, and snow this would not matter.

I just wanted to raise some thoughts as you look at the different plans on the internet.
I also think so.

rubyluise

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Solar Oven is one of the best way to cooking. It is inexpensive way to cook by natural sun energy. It is as useful for fat and quickly cooking as save electric energy. Many of people prefer to use it because I can say that It is one time investment and durable for life time.

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ordered and received my Global Solar Sun oven This past Friday.. I got it set up Sunday. and this morning made some bread and put in it.. The bread fell. plus I never could get it up to 350 degrees.. Nor the 400 that it called for when I cleaned it.. What am I doing wrong

There has been some wind the last few days... I'm in central texas.. I have it on the concrete drive way

Pirtykitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have been cooking in solar oven now for almost a week.. So far have made cookies, pinto beans, baked chicken wings, chicken and rice, corn bread, hobo stew and pork chops with potaotes , sweet potatoes.. Oh and a pot roast with carrots and potatoes.. If it gets too cloudy I have had to finish a couple items off in house..

Have still been cooking in solar oven just about every day.. Yesterday August 31, made chicken enchiladias, and then a chocolate cake in solar oven.. Iced the cake with german chocolate icing.. Cake was really moist.. Enchiladias were really good too..

jamescolon

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Nice information, but can everyone take this? Will government allow to use solar energy for free and no rent of Gas?