1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. WW2 Rationing Recipes - Canadian and British - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Solar Oven

Discussion in 'Solar Power' started by farm_mom, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Nov 2, 2009
    mjdtexan

mjdtexan Power Conserver

Thank You for the link

2. Nov 2, 2009
    Ldychef2k

Ldychef2k Survival Chef

I made mine out of a bucket, a windshield reflector, a cake cooling rack, a black pan and a glass lid. Put a frozen casserole in it and it was boiling in 90 minutes. I think I have a picture somewhere. It all folds down and is completely portable. I have also seen them made with two reflectors, one vertical and one horizontal across the seat of a white resin garden chair.

Yeah, here's the picture:

[​IMG]

I later made a prop out of a cardboard tube from wrapping paper, with non skid shelf lining over the ends, to open up the angle a bit more and get more sun. When I want to use a larger container, I use a large cookie rack and flatten out the tip of the cone a bit more. I also have a circle of glass that I can put on top of a large black pot. This reflector is the extra large, double reflective kind for a truck or SUV.

3. Nov 2, 2009
    Ldychef2k

Ldychef2k Survival Chef

Oh, I see that the link takes you to plans for the oven I made ! What a coinkydink !

4. May 6, 2010
    detali

detali Enjoys Recycling

I made a solar oven last year that looks a lot like the sun oven from earlier posts. This spring I re-made the reflector panels, covering them with reflective mylar instead of the aluminum foil I had last year. I roasted myself a chicken in it today and them baked myself a cake. It was a good day, especially since it's my birthday.

5. May 6, 2010
    Ldychef2k

Ldychef2k Survival Chef

I only have one for emergencies. It is compact, portable, and remarkably efficient. It took a one quart casserole from frozen solid to boiling in 45 minutes.

http://www.clubcruceros.org/SolarCookers/SolarCookersThumbnails.html

It is on this page, right side, third picture down. Funnel cooker with grill. I have used it several times and it has functioned very well. I am going beach camping in July, and plan to use it then.

6. May 6, 2010
    Ldychef2k

Ldychef2k Survival Chef

7. Jan 14, 2011
    rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Almost Self-Reliant

Man, am I late in the game. Well I made one, but I can't really say how well it worked, because everytime it got to a good temp and started heating things up, the wind would blow the top off. I did it with cardboard, which I spray painted black and topped with an oven roasting bag. It was insulated with 4 inch insulation, which was covered with foil...also painted black. It had a thermometer for a BBQ pit to register the temp.
    In theory, it should have worked, but if I try again, I will use treated wood and make it big and have it on a stand with wheels.

8. Apr 19, 2011
    maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Sustainable Newbie

I have built 5 solar ovens and I use two personally almost every day. Mine is made with 1/2 plywood, duct board, masonite board, glass and mylar. I can make everything that you could possibly want. BBQ ribs just fall off the bone, cherry pie, sourdough bread. You name it, I can cook it and my family loves it. The temp is a consistant 350 - 375 degrees on a sunny day. One thing that I really like is that I can put my food in the oven around 8a.m., aim it toward the mid-day sun and when I get home around 4pm everything is juicy and delicious! Yum! wouldn't trade my solar oven for the world!BTW the ovens cost around $50 - $75 depending on prices in your area.

9. Jul 10, 2011
    Naughty

Naughty Enjoys Recycling

sooooooo maggie - how about pics or plans? i am very interested in this idea. mostly I'd like to have hot dinner in summer when kansas makes it wayyyyyyyy to hot to heat up the oven

10. Jul 10, 2011
    sunsaver

sunsaver Almost Self-Reliant

Yeah, i'd like to see some pics too. I want one because its just hot to build a fire in the oven.