Solar Oven

Naughty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
heres a stupid question

is there a fire hazard to these things? does it need to be set on brick or cement? it is pretty dry here - and i worry about the grass

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have used a homemade one and I did set it on concrete so it would get hotter. I don't think that it would spontaneously combust. However, with the summer we have had, who knows?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
It's certainly not a stupid question, but no, there is no real fire hazard. The highest temperature that I have ever seen inside of one is around 400 degrees. That's hot, but not hot enough to ignite it. I've seen them places directly on grass and wood tables without any problem. Dry paper will ignite at 451 degrees, hence the name of the book by Ray Bradbury entitled Fahrenheit 451. BTW, we have a Sylvan (a copy of the Global Sun Oven) ordered and scheduled to arrive this coming Tuesday.

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
k0xxx- where did you order your oven from? The cardboard box one is OK, but not terribly heavy duty.

edited to correct spelling.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
hiker said:
k0xxx- where did you order your oven from? The cardboard box one is OK, but not terribly heavy duty.

edited to correct spelling.
We found it listed on eBay. We paid less than $200 and the shipping was free. BTW, it arrived today and we'll be playing with it tomorrow. We have been using a Global Sun Oven that belongs to a friend, and this looks to be an exact copy of it. I can't wait to try it out.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
It's certainly not a stupid question, but no, there is no real fire hazard. The highest temperature that I have ever seen inside of one is around 400 degrees. That's hot, but not hot enough to ignite it. I've seen them places directly on grass and wood tables without any problem. Dry paper will ignite at 451 degrees, hence the name of the book by Ray Bradbury entitled Fahrenheit 451. BTW, we have a Sylvan (a copy of the Global Sun Oven) ordered and scheduled to arrive this coming Tuesday.
Was that with a "factory-built" oven...? The hottest I've ever gotten my home-made, cardboard box one is 210. :/

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
k0xxx said:
Was that with a "factory-built" oven...? The hottest I've ever gotten my home-made, cardboard box one is 210. :/
Yes, it was with a Global Sun Oven, on an exceptionally hot and still day. 350 to 375 was the normal high temperature range, but it would get hotter, especially if there was no wind. Our new oven is a copy of the Sun Oven, and it went from below 100, to 300 in about 15 minutes today when we tested it.

S

sunsaver

Cool! I need to build one, so i don't have to build a fire on a hot day like today.

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I received my Sun Oven several days ago and I love it! I baked several loaves of bread and also "slow cooked" a stuffed flank steak and a pot roast. Today's menu is meatloaf and potatoes!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep, solar ovens are great. We love ours and plan to get a second for cooking several items at once. My wife drools over the Villager Sun Oven. Way too big and expensive to be practical for us, but it'd be neat to have access to one. :D