solar powered RV vent roof fans

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I need to vent a chicken coop 24/7. Will a solar attic fan run day and night regardless of weather? I live in Hawaii with a tropical climate

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
You really need to include a lot more info on what your are trying to do and why.
Solar venting will only work during the sunny hours, after that it needs a battery and can use quite a bit depending on what you want to vent. The solar panel has to be large enough to run the fan during the day and charge the battery enough to run all night.

With the information given, I will make a rough guess of a 100 watt PV panel, a charge controller, and a 200+ amp battery bank, plus a 25 watt low speed fan will cost about - $1000. A fan is a greedy animal and depending on how much air you need to move can make a huge difference in the horsepower required, to double the output you need to quadruple the power input.

Your area will give a year round average of 6 sun hours per day, 100 watts x 6 = 600 watts total minus the 150 watts needed to run the fan for the 6 sunny hours, your net battery charge will be 450 watts needed for nigh time operation. This is assuming the sun shines everyday on schedule. A 200 amp battery should give you your five plus days of reserve power in case of clouds etc.

However if you only need a small amount of air a 50 cfm 12v computer fan could be done for only a hundred dollars or so. A 1000 cfm solar attic fan will cost about $250 plus all the batteries and PV cells.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
In Hawaii? For a chicken coop? Just make very very large openings in most or all sides of the coop, wire to predatorproof, and there ya go, perfect ventilation. If rain is an issue, wide roof overhangs will take care of that.

Normal backyard coops almost never 'need' powered ventilation - passive ventilation thru a goodly amount of well-designed openings works much better (and is free and doesn't break down!)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree. Just get one of those spinning ventilator dealies that go up over the roof vent. They blow in the wind and suck out air. I don't know what they are actually called, but they're round with slits cut in them in a spiral shape.

BTW- We can run a small DC fan off a charged deep cycle battery for many hours. Yes, they make DC fans, so you don't have to have a power inverter to run an AC one. Look in the camping gear at your outdoor store. RV stores might have them too.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
My guess was that she needed the ventilation to meet the legal requirements of the USDA regulations. I never worked on a farm but decades ago whilst a lowly rural electrician I wired up my share of barns and chicken houses. A typical 40 foot by 100 foot chicken house would usually need one 10,000 cfm 36 inch fan and would work out to about 10 cfm per bird. None ever ran 24/7 as most were on t-stats and percentage timers.