Some pics of our place (British Columbia)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
AdamBorzy said:
Cool photos Joel. Do you go hiking/camping a lot? :D
Glad you liked the pix, Adam. Yeah, do some hiking every year. But, I must admit there are some places around here my wife and I don't get to very much anymore, unless we have someone come to visit us and we want to share something special with them. IOW, on our own my wife and I are often hiking in other places, when we go to someplace new for a little getaway.

AdamBorzy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I never been to Canada yet but If youve been to Australia, Im sure you will definitely love the outback.
The boss and I just like the simple act of using those kettles to boil for a cup of coffee and the superb aroma of roasting barbecues. :D

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I haven't added any pics of our place since the original ones. This is our small garden, about on-eighth the size of the one I pictured earlier (a couple shots take in it, back on page 1). But this garden is just a few steps from our door, and we plant salad leafies, cabbage-family plants, and some root crops (carrots, beets) in it. Pretty close to the kitchen.

4407_small_garden_tilled.jpg

Yesterday we spred about thousand pounds of composted cattle manure on it. Got the manure by way of a trade we made with a rancher in our valley. I tilled it in yesterday, too, so the soil looks great. Trouble is: the weather. It's another cold spring, with outdoor planting being delayed for everyone. All of western Canada has this dilemma this year.

We do what we can when we can... an exercise in patience.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I missed this when you first posted. Glad that I found it now. You have a lovely spot there. I'm really envious of your wife's studio. My DH is also an artist (not professional, just for his own pleasure), and it would be wonderful for him to have such a lovely space. We have a friend in Burton, south of Nakusp, and have been up there a few times to visit. It really is a gorgeous part of the world - though I've seen pictures of her place in the winter, and am not at all sure that the green beauty of the summer is worth the cold snow of winter (not for me, anyway, I'm a California girl) :lol:

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just thought I'd add a pic I just took of my wife's veggie garden area - we call it "the side garden" as it's off to one side of our house. She grows carrots, beets, chard, kale, radishes, cauliflower, and brocolli in there. The whole situation is pretty lush, as these crops weren't really affected by our coolish and very damp spring. You can't see the tops of those food plants very distinctly because she also grows sunflowers, dahlias, and nasturtiums in there too!
4407_side_garden_2013.jpg

The greenhouse behind has tomatoes and cucumbers, mostly - plus starts for some fall greens.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
side garden 2014.jpg

Just thought I'd upload a more recent garden image. This is our little "kitchen" side garden, taken a few days ago. Very lush - in fact, weedy when the shot was taken. It's the first year we've grown the garlic and onions in this patch, rather than in our big garden. Also has peas, lettuce, chard, kale, zucchini, dill and a bunch of flowers. Seems the onion crop, in particular, will be very good.

We moved the location of the broccoli, cauliflower, beets, and carrots into our big garden - and the broc and cauli are doing better than we can ever remember on our place. Also our potato crop out there seems to be very good this year.

Anybody interested in more overview shots of our place can find them mostly on page 1 of this thread, but a few scattered in the pages between there and here.

Last edited: