Some things just can't be prepared for

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH and I are just (as in, this morning) back from a 2 1/2 week visit to Japan. It was a wonderful trip in many, many ways. We spent 2 days in Hiroshima, where the museum dedicated to the first A-bomb used in war was very moving, very emotional. An object lesson that there are some things for which one simply cannot prepare.

However, my pantry will still remain stocked ... for the smaller emergencies that life throws at me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW--sounds like a wonderful trip for you!
Glad you had a great time. Great memories I am sure!

and yes, being prepared doesn't work in all situations at all.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Those of us living within the immediate danger zone of a nuclear power plant have been asking ourselves the same question. Intentional or accidental, the effects are the same. I have very little faith in the emergency contingency plans or evacuation routes that our officials have devised. We've made our own plan and route.

Sounds like a nice trip. :)

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Those of us living within the immediate danger zone of a nuclear power plant have been asking ourselves the same question. Intentional or accidental, the effects are the same. I have very little faith in the emergency contingency plans or evacuation routes that our officials have devised. We've made our own plan and route.

I don't want to sound like a negative nelly, but if there were a nucular explosion or bomb, let me be the first to see the mushroom. I wouldn't want to live thru the radiation poisioning everything around you.

I got better places to go

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wow what a wonderful opportunity!

Welcome back and I hope you can put up some pics soon!

Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
sylvie said:

I don't want to sound like a negative nelly, but if there were a nucular explosion or bomb, let me be the first to see the mushroom. I wouldn't want to live thru the radiation poisioning everything around you.

I got better places to go
Back during the cold war I said the same thing. Where's ground zero? I'm going there. The closer the better.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
for me the opposite

No one will make me GO

I want to be around as long as I can..LOL

I will try to live thru it all and be one of the new people of mankind!!!

I will try to survive as long as humanely possible. No one will take that from me if I can help it. Drag it out for me---as long as I can..LOL

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
for me the opposite

No one will make me GO

I want to be around as long as I can..LOL

I will try to live thru it all and be one of the new people of mankind!!!

I will try to survive as long as humanely possible. No one will take that from me if I can help it. Drag it out for me---as long as I can..LOL
Amen!

Nuclear War, Dirty Bombs, Nuclear Accident, Nuclear Anything, sucks rocks. I pray that no one on earth ever has to deal with one of these again, however, for the vast majority of people they are survivable.

Most people think that if nukes go off then everybody is going to die, or will wish they had. That's why you hear such comments as; "If it happens, I hope I'm at ground zero and go quickly." After the initial detonations and after one realizes that they have survived, they will wish that they took a little time to prepare.

Here's a link to an article titled "The Good News About Nuclear Destruction! "

Although the title would seem to be a bit absurd, it details some of the myths regarding nuclear attack. The site http://www.ki4u.com/goodnews.htm is a good resource for anyone with the "I will try to survive as long as humanely possible." mentality. Count me in that number.