Someday Farm, yup someday it will all be just the way i want it..........

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hi, I'm goatgurl and i wondered over from BackYardHerds to visit for a spell. decided a couple of days ago to try my hand at journaling so here goes. i call my little piece of the world someday farm because someday the chicken house roof will be fixed, the fences will be tight, i'll have a real milk room and no weeds in the garden. sure i will, lol. there have a lot of changes in my life in the past couple of years and I'm working hard to adjust to it all. patience is a virtue I'm told.
i have 60 acres in arklahoma right on the boarder of both states that i share with emma, the house dog and my right hand girl, Louis, a very cranky almost 20 year old cat, Katie the Maremma lgd, 14 dairy goats, 6 sheep, one pig, 4 ducks and more chickens than i care to count. i retired a little early after over 25 years as an icu nurse and am so enjoying being able to stay home with my critters and chillin'. over 55 acres is wild and the other 5 is where we all live. i have raised goats off and on for over 30 years, first with French alpines and now lamancha or lamancha/Nubian cross does. I'm not sure what i would do without them. i guess i'll just go along and share my day to day adventures with youall. i hope you aren't bored to tears.
there is a thread on here that i like called "what did you do today to save $. today i went to a friends house and picked almost a bushel of jonathan apples. not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, applesauce is the easiest but i would kind of like to dry a good part of them. I've got a few days to decide while they ripen. any votes?

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ok, so I'm slow i admit it freely. went to the land of oz and brought home a new baby boy. meet Benton or baby ben as i call him. he is a Maremma lgd who has come to see if he can be of help to Katie when it comes to keeping critters away from here.
004.JPG

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well its been a long time since I've been here and visited with youall. I've been reading about the things you've been up to.
not a lot of changes here. i'm down to 3 adult does, 1 adult buck and a couple of kids. not much of a herd anymore. three ewes and a ram. still have chickens and ducks. have had several chicks hatched this spring and have lost a lot of them to black snakes. have 30 baby ducks in the growout pen and two more ducks sitting on eggs. also have two hens sitting on eggs too.
planted my barrel garden this year, the goats got in my yard and ate most of it down to nubs so not much to show for my effort. going to plant some fall veggies in the next month or so.
still have emma, the house dog, JJ, the farm dog and Katie the LGD has a new partner named marco. they are all of fine fiddle and doing their jobs well.
youall take care and i'll be back sooner than later.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
thought i'd let youall know that both of my snake bite girls are doing ok. JJ's face has gone down nicely and she acts like she feels fine. emma on the other hand has been pretty lethargic all day. i'm not sure whether she feels bad because of the snake bite or because I over dosed her on Benadryl. time will tell on her. her age is the only thing that worries me.
because yesterday and today have been so much cooler with less humidity I worked outside cleaning rabbit cages. with the heat here for the last month or so I've just totally ignored them so today was the day. I am pretty sure the flower beds will appreciate a snack and I know for sure the bunnies appreciate the cleaning. nothing else new here. going to be cool again tomorrow so no telling what i'll get into.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
thought i'd update youall on the dogs. JJ is doing just great, you'd never know she had been bitten by a copperhead. emma on the other hand is still a little off, just not back to her rotten self. I keep telling myself that she is old and it's just going to take her a while. time will tell.
took 4 lambs to the sale this week and got a fair price for them. $377.00 for 3 ram lambs and 1 eweling. $ will come handy, car and house insurance both due.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
glass work? kiln?

I used to make glass beads, back in the 90's and early 2000's. I ended up letting it slide to make wire-wrap jewelry instead, but I well remember the fun I had in my studio, carefully trying to apply dots to ball of molten glass with the sweat dripping off my forehead into my eyes.... heehee! Really though, I loved making them, just wasn't all that good at it.
Here's one of my wire wrap rings
Garnetring2.jpg

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
went walkabout Saturday with dsx2. we were all anxious to get out of our various houses but no one wanted to work outside. just to cold. thought i would share a few of the pictures i took. there is a large wilderness area a few miles from here and there are always different birds and critters to see. the eagle had been fishing in the lake there and landed in a tree at waters edge. he let me walk up to the tree he was in. just cocked his head and watched me. i got several good shots of him. next came the hawk, he was beside the dirt road we were on and didn't want to share his lunch. he puffed up his feathers and dared me to get any closer. just thought the tree and vine were cool as was the stump/moss . last but not least the fern on the rock is down in old spring that comes off the side of the mountain and is rocked in. it was so delicate growing there. hope you enjoy them. i enjoyed taking them

Attachments

• IMG_0465.JPG
    IMG_0465.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0478.JPG
    IMG_0478.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    172.3 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_0502.JPG
    IMG_0502.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0422.JPG
    IMG_0422.JPG
    268.5 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 427

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@sumi, you know that apple that you bite into and one eyebrow just automatically goes up 'cause they are a little on the tart side. that is what a jonathan is like. they are good for cooking, make great pies and some folks like eating them out of hand but i prefer a sweetly, spicy tartly apple but these are an old favorite around here and they were free. i have a big beautiful Maremma LGD named Katie who pretty much convinces all the predators to stay from up at the house. i must admit i worry a bit when the goats and sheep are out in the wild part of the property but so far so good. i lost her helper, Jasper about 3 months ago and am thinking about getting another LGD because it is so hard for them to do it all alone. first pix is of Katie and second of her as a pup with "uncle" jasper.
it was 102.2 in the shade in my backyard this afternoon. needless to say i didn't get much done outside today. got a couple of my saddles out of the storage building and got them cleaned up before it got horrible out. I've decided to sell or trade them because i am no longer able to ride for more than 20-30 mins before my back and hip are more than i can handle. I've spent 50 years of my life riding and to have to admit to myself that it isn't part of my future kinda bums me out. i try to remind myself that from the cradle to the grave our life evolves and changes but i still miss that feeling of freedom when its just you, your horse and the wind on the mountain, oh well.

Attachments

• 156.JPG
    156.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 397
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 378