Someday Farm, yup someday it will all be just the way i want it..........

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
just to prove to youall that I don't have a lick of sense I ordered some more chicks. i'm covered up with ducks but it seems that almost every hen I've had sitting has lost their clutch to those danged black snakes this year and since I only have a few cross bred hens I decided to get some new girls. I love a mixed flock so I got 3 black australorps, 4 rhode island reds, 3 barred rocks, 3 silver laced wyandottes, 3 speckled Sussex pullets and a black australorp roo. love a box full of fluff butt babies.
got some of the winter hay for the goats and sheep a few days ago and the gentlemen who delivered it asked me if I had a broodie hen and i'm like ummm no but I've got 2 brooding ducks and one of them has just started to set so we could use her. he had 15 turkey eggs he wanted to set so mama duck gave her 8 eggs to one of dstr1's broodie hens and I have one duck setting on a bunch of duck eggs and the other is sitting on the turkey eggs. I have never raised turkeys but I guess there is a first time for every thing.
@NH Homesteader you are going to have to be my go to turkey girl because I don't have a clue how to raise them. also nh homesteader I was reading about you having to go fish pig feed pans out of the mud so I thought I would show you what I do to avoid having to do that. the tubs I use have a sort of handle with a hole in the middle of it so I thread a rope thru the hole and tie a knot in of it so it won't pull out and then I tie it to the fence up close so I don't even have to go in with them. has worked for me for years, have never had them chew thru a rope to get it loose or bust up the tub. remember me i'm the person who is chicken to go in with them if I don't absolutely have to
. IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1289.JPG

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I try to get a variety of apples when I get them, and make sauce, apple butter, apple pie filling and then dehydrate the rest of them.

Your place sounds restful. If I had the amount of land I'd like to have, I'd have cleared what I need for my self and the critters, and the rest I'd leave as woods.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to journaling - can't wait to hear more of your adventures. "Someday Farm"... gotta love that name! :)

TwoCrows

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Love the name, Someday Farm! Always keep those dreams alive because eventually they become reality!

Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. And good luck with those apples. Around here, I think my poultry would end up with much of them. Ha!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@DenimDeb the apples are one of those beggars can't be choosers and all she has are the jonathan so that's what i get. either i get them or the mockingbirds do and i vote for me. last year i made apple butter out of them last year and it is delish but since i have plenty i will probably make applesauce so i can make fried pies and things later
@Britesea the this is my own little piece of heaven, i have the front pasture along the road brush hogged every couple of years and then let the rest of it go wild. i live just below the national forest and we have all kinds of critters, every thing from opossums, skunks and raccoons that stalk the chickens and ducks to black bears, mountain lions red wolves, coyotes and bob cats that want to eat every thing else. i also have lots of deer, wild turkey, squirrels and bunnys around
and @TwoCrows the chickens and ducks will get what comes out of the end of the good ole Victoria strainer and i'll get the rest I'm thinking. they aren't spoiled or mob me whenever i come out the door anyway, lol
@frustratedearthmother the name comes from one of my family members asking me when i was going to fix the barn door and i said "someday", she said and in that voice that only on older sister can use, "sure, someday, someday farms where every thing will be fixed" and it just stuck and fits so well. its just me and it takes me a while to get some things done and if i can't do it then it also takes me a while to save up to pay someone to do it for me. I've just learned not to be in a hurry or sweat the small stuff.
God bless ladies, later[/USER]

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I love that name, Someday. You're right, what's the rush? Rome wasn't build in a day, I'm told ;) Your place do sound like a piece of heaven, except for the predators bit, that would make me a little nervous!

For the apples, I'm not familiar with jonathan, but I'd probably eat some, dehydrate some, give some to the pig, freeze some for pies...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My DH is saying he thinks it's time to give up his bike as well... Each age brings us something to look forward to and something to look back on nostalgically. (cue Maurice Chevalier singing "I'm Glad I'm Not Young Anymore")

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oh Lord, thanks WendyJ, i needed to feel that much older tonight. google him and listen to some of his music. you might like it