Someday Farm, yup someday it will all be just the way i want it..........

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
slowly but surely getting things ready for winter. most of the garden has been cleaned, tubs filled with goat barn 'stuff' to let continue to compost till spring. moved the buck to his new area, further away from the does to keep him and them out of trouble.
was watching mama daphnee duck and her two late hatchlings on the pond evening before last when she got out and came up to the house she only had one duckling with her. she looked and looked and called and called for the lostling and so did i but it was no where to be found. literally here one minute and gone the next?? she was still calling the next morning, i felt so bad for her then lo and behold that evening baby duck #2 shows back up??? where it was no one knows and now mama seems to have forgotten who it is and will have nothing to do with it. even going so far as to peck it to keep it away from her and baby #1. since we were suppose to have temps in the 20's last night i just caught both of them and brought them in the house. i figure if she won't take them both then i will. the only down side to that is that now i have two ducks in my house till they grow feathers. thinking its going to be a long winter
we had our first killing freeze last night so i brought the plants i wanted to save in so my living sort of looks like a jungle until i get everything situated, just couldn't stand to see the fern freeze. hope nothing scary is living in there.

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
837.JPG
IMG_0315.JPG
just a couple of pix to make you smile. the red bird is in line for his turn at the feeder. i keep BOSS in the feeders year round not because they need the food but because i like to have them come in close so i can watch them. and the second pix is of this early springs pig. i had put a bale of hay in his lean to and he made himself a nice bed and buried himself under it. when i went out and saw that he was "missing" and hollered for him he popped his head out of the hay and grunted "here i am". was to cute

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
the saga of Houdini formally known as steer boy continues... neighbors son brought steer boy home tuesday, stopped down at the bottom of the driveway and opened the trailer and let him out. i had planned to lock him in the goats night lot for the time being but his mom had forgotten to tell him that so he let him out in the big pasture. i hollered and hollered and it looked like the steer was coming up to the house but saw the goats and took off toward them into the woods and just kept going... went looking for him and couldn't find him anywhere. ding dang calf!!! neighbor calls me again later that evening and guess what, calf is back at her house, almost 2 miles away. I'm beginning to hate this calf. he may not make it till he is big enough to butcher if he keeps this up. neighbors son brought him back again today and he is now locked in the goat pen much to his dismay. he spent the afternoon going round and around the half acre fence line looking for a way out. fortunately the pen is woven wire and cattle panels so he is still locked in tight. ben barked and barked at him because he didn't think steer boy had any business being in the girls pasture, hoping he settles down.
have to show you a picture of the duck house i made for the duckels so they wouldn't have to spend the winter in my house but wouldn't freeze until they get feathers. i had made Louis the cat a sleeping box to put on the back porch a couple of years ago but he thought he was much to good for it so it was never used. to keep the baby ducks warm i cut a hole in the top and set the heat lamp over the hole. they can get out easily and move around the pen but have stayed snug and warm even in the 12degree weather of last week. I'm so glad i don't have smelly little ducks in here now that the heater is on.
IMG_0321.JPG

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@Britesea i just have to show you my new little stove. I've about decided to put it in the workshop with the kiln so i can do some work out there this winter since mother nature has decided to mess with the temps so early. after i got it home i looked it all over and the plate on the back said it was tested in 1980 but has never even had a fire in it after the test. I'm planning on getting some firebricks to put in the bottom just for safety and to make it last longer. it is almost twice as heavy as the same sized newly made stoves so I'm a happy camper. and if it doesn't work well then its ok 'cause i didn't pay an arm and a leg for it. and for those of you who have wondered about how Houdini is getting out... i don't know yet but yes i am looking for the hole in the fence.
IMG_0328.JPG

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yippie skippie!!! new metal post set in concrete, check. new satellite dish set up, check. new cable buried from the post to the house and placed in conduit so sil can't kill them with a weed eater or lawn mower, check. Back on the internet, life is good...
so much has happened since the net died, or was killed as it were. lady that ds#3 works wanted to get rid of her rabbits and i had been wanting bunnies so 2 does and a buck came home with me and 2 does and a buck went home with ds#5. they came complete with hutches, feeders and water bottles as well as food and hay. when they were all caught and put together i guess bunny things happened because 30 days to the day after i brought them home i had 14 more bunnies. no one had warned me how really cute baby bunnies can be and no one warned me that after a day or two they start popping like popcorn in the nest. so stinking cute. I'm thinking that its going to be hard to bonk 'em on the head when the time comes.... hope i can do it or I'm going to end up with about a million bunnies.
the goats started kidding and now i have the 4 milking does and 6 bouncing babies, have one last doe due in two weeks then i'll be done birthing for this year. so cute. honestly can you think of anything cuter than baby goats and lambs bouncing stiff legged across the pasture.
the last ewe presented me with a single ewe lamb who was as big at birth as the first set of twins were at two weeks. they are all growing like weeds. i will get some more pictures in the next day or so.
and its garden planting time, yea!!! we are having our Easter winter now and are due a blackberry winter cool spell in a couple of weeks but the game is on already. even with all the pollen and allergies i love spring! hope youall had a blessed Easter. i thank God for the sacrifice of his Son so that our sins are forgiven.
catch up with youall in a day or two.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate snakes. Month ago found large skin in barn, week later found the (?prob?) snake in coop. 6' black rat draped across 4 nest boxes. Shooood it out with warning. 2 days later, back again and this time I killed with my machete. Yeah, bad & sad -- but, could not live with it & didn't want to share eggs either. Hens were unsettled also. I was a mess with nerves.

I have lined up my hay but while off this week (all this wkend, really unusual) it is raining. Need rain -- but, on my days off?
Well, pickup has been put off. Schedule has next week looking like "maybe" I can pick up.

Goats made couple new "access holes" in an old fence that was to be replaced soon and soon has become a lot closer! The horses don't crawl under, these goats do. In fact, may be the most popular method to leave a field, LOL. The ones in milk are far less likely to belly out!! I understand but, those guys I had selected for freezer camp my be going sooner if they don't stop this crap.

My DS was here about 10 days working a job for someone couple miles away (he's a framer, roofer, etc.) and now gone so I can have quiet again. Says he will be back next Sat to do some heavy frame repairs on a combo equipment shed on front and run-in barn on back. Lumber all here, needs done before cold and sooner the better. Will be glad to get that completed as I have several pieces of equipment I want to shelter. THEN, there's the solar boxes for the water tubs....
most of which I will do. Winter prep + repairs....working.

Deb -- nursing pays more & you use skills you have -- just be careful to select a situation that is not depressing. Many nurses go thru such issues and you bring it home. The work suggestion was more to "reassociate" with happy people. Rarely do you nurses have this situation. My PT is NOT my fields of training but, I go in do a job, feel accomplishment, see happy people, go home & leave it all behind as far as further commitment/concerns, etc. Plus, I could quit tomorrow and not have left anything behind that would need attention. No guilt, LOL. For ME it works. We each need our own outlet & I wish you the best, no matter your choice.

Rainy Sat off. So, could work inside as there is plenty to do.
Novel idea

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
thanks guys. emma is 14 years old and only weighs about 15#. got her on the left front leg. she is still walking hoppity legged but at least has started drinking this afternoon. still not wanting to eat anything yet. JJ is the English shepherd, she is 2 1/2 years old and weighs almost 50#. she got hit on her muzzle and her face swelled up so bad she could only pant thru her mouth because her nasal passages appeared to be blocked. kind of looked like a fuzzy jimmy durante with that big nose. she couldn't eat the ham her pills were in so I stuffed 75mg of Benadryl down her throat. not happy with me. I probably overdosed emma because I gave her 50mg of Benadryl and she slept most of the day. and yes baymule I gave emma 2 bb aspirin and JJ 4. never once thought about the arnica or I sure would have given them that too. Emma has fought snakes her entire life and this is the first time she has ever been bitten. hope she has learned a valuable lesson from all this.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Poor things, I hope they're feeling better today! It was great that they warned you before you stepped on that snake.