Someday Farm, yup someday it will all be just the way i want it..........

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey, hey, hey! Good to see ya! I can't even imagine having less than10 goats...but I better start heading in that direction!! Feed bill is ...whew...around here! I had a few goat forays into the garden too....grrrrrrr. Funny how things change with the passage of a little time because now I'm thinking about turning them in there to clean it up, lol!

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
well today started off with a bang, literally... as I was going outside this morning to say good morning to the world JJ the English shepherd started barking 'that' bark so I looked over the edge of the step and laying there where I was fixing to put my little sandaled foot lay a copperhead. went back in and got my trusty little sidearm and dispatched the beast but not before it had bitten little emma on the front foot and JJ on her muzzle. that's the 2nd snake I've killed there in a week. other one was not poisonous but he was at my back steps uninvited. not liking that a bit. brought both dogs in and gave them a big dose of Benadryl. will get them some antibiotics when things open in the morning. does anyone know if you can give injectable oxytet orally to a dog? that and combipen are all I have. so I've spent the coolest day we've had in a month in the house watching dogs sleep. they both would get worked up if I tried to leave them in the house, oh well... happy sunday youall.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
when mine get snakebit I give them Benadryl and a baby aspirin. Last time Parker got snakebit, I gave him an Arnicare pill for the pain. Then I made a midnight run to Walmart for Benadryl and baby aspirin.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Bless their little furry tails, I've never had one bitten by a venomous snake. I hope they recover quickly! :hugs

goatgurl

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
thanks guys. emma is 14 years old and only weighs about 15#. got her on the left front leg. she is still walking hoppity legged but at least has started drinking this afternoon. still not wanting to eat anything yet. JJ is the English shepherd, she is 2 1/2 years old and weighs almost 50#. she got hit on her muzzle and her face swelled up so bad she could only pant thru her mouth because her nasal passages appeared to be blocked. kind of looked like a fuzzy jimmy durante with that big nose. she couldn't eat the ham her pills were in so I stuffed 75mg of Benadryl down her throat. not happy with me. I probably overdosed emma because I gave her 50mg of Benadryl and she slept most of the day. and yes baymule I gave emma 2 bb aspirin and JJ 4. never once thought about the arnica or I sure would have given them that too. Emma has fought snakes her entire life and this is the first time she has ever been bitten. hope she has learned a valuable lesson from all this.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aww I'm glad they're ok! Tough dogs, hope they're scared of snakes now!