Something ate all my ripe blueberrries..................

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
It's things like this that keep a person real. I was thinking blueberry independence but now I'll be thinking about a better protection system.
I bet many a gardener thought Bambi's mom got what she deserved- I worry about bears and mountain lions with my goats.
Makes a person aware of the real possiblity that the local wild life could eliminate my livelihood if they really wanted.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ticks said:
What do you do for a problem like that?
If I had used bird netting on my pears, (it's a smallish tree, so this is a possibility) I could gather the ends of the net together and tie it up around the trunk of the tree to keep any birds from getting in that way.

The blueberries I have seen are really big and bushy all the way to the ground, though. Just seems like it would be hard to do. The berries I picked, there were so many bushes that I think there were plenty to share with the birds and still get all you could stand to look at. It was like walking in a jungle, seriously.

Cassandra

twoworldsinone

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I caught my dog running across the yard and hiding something... a nice stash of my blueberries!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
My dog does the same thing. Next year I am putting the bushes on the other side of the fence. ;)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Literally every blueish berry was gone- as I said I have weighted the edges of the netting down to the ground with rocks- hopefully I caught any place where a bird could sneak through. Robins being ground foragers took advantage of my incomplete security. I'll check again in a couple of days to see if that took care of it. I have seen cages built around whole patches but I can't do that because I picturesquely arranged the bushes in irregular patches.
Lol- once my dogs did that too- I saw their tails sticking out of the patch, slowly wagging as they stripped the berries. But this time the birds took them all. The dogs at least left the ones above their heads.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Well- no success yet. I found a young quail under the netting this morning. When the rest of his familly took off, he started fluttering against the net but before I got there to help him out, he found another hole to let himself out.
More effort needed to block the netting at the ground. Seems Ok for the birds that stay off the ground but the ground foragers seem to keep getting in.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
ticks said:
What do you do for a problem like that?
If I had used bird netting on my pears, (it's a smallish tree, so this is a possibility) I could gather the ends of the net together and tie it up around the trunk of the tree to keep any birds from getting in that way.

The blueberries I have seen are really big and bushy all the way to the ground, though. Just seems like it would be hard to do. The berries I picked, there were so many bushes that I think there were plenty to share with the birds and still get all you could stand to look at. It was like walking in a jungle, seriously.

Cassandra
I think you should go with bird netting

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Robin 3 Me 0

I was standing by the window watching the robins hop around the beds and on the top, looking for a way in- chortling to myself with I admit a streak of nastiness when I saw one was in the other bed and was feasting.
I ran out and stood next to the bed- before the robins would then fly out through the spot they had used to get in. But this one just fluttered all over the place- he couldn't find a way out. So I let him out and checked around to see what I could - make a couple of changes and am still hoping for the best- but I am clearly losing right now.

Anyone in the market for 17 blueberry bushes?

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
Robin 3 Me 0

I was standing by the window watching the robins hop around the beds and on the top, looking for a way in- chortling to myself with I admit a streak of nastiness when I saw one was in the other bed and was feasting.
I ran out and stood next to the bed- before the robins would then fly out through the spot they had used to get in. But this one just fluttered all over the place- he couldn't find a way out. So I let him out and checked around to see what I could - make a couple of changes and am still hoping for the best- but I am clearly losing right now.

Anyone in the market for 17 blueberry bushes?
sorry :aww

Latest posts