Sore Throats

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've actually made something very similar; and it is very good.

Also, orange juice is good, as is cranberry juice.

I think all of the above work systemically, as well as topically. It must help for the throat to actually be washed with vitamin C, and something a bit astringent.

Thanks for the recipe! :)

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm having such a hard time reading the posts in this section b/c I can't stop LOL about the breast milk one. I suppose you could use it for a sore throat too!

Oh the replies I wish I could post about it! I wish I could stop LMBO!!! It's hard to type! Must... step.... away... from the computer! (plus my 2yo is lookin' at me funny)

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd listen to OaklandCityFarmer... his grandma's council is genius!

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No one, he was just appreciating Oakland's grandma's wisdom.

Plus, we all did jump in to share our own thoughts. Maybe a new thread would have been more appropriate; that's just my own thought. My middle name could be, Overzealous, at times. ;)

Btw, I'm curious as to how Howard's fishing trip went. You should post on it under the mascot thread, if it went through. I loved the strawberries. :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'll tell you a tried and true remedy that I use for that "start of a cold" feeling one gets...you know, post nasal drip, congested sinuses, sore throat, cough...

Run a hot bath (hot as you can stand), prepare a hot drink (doesn't matter what it is but the honey mixture sounds excellent), sit in bath and drink hot drink(don't get your head wet). When you are so hot you can barely stand it, get out, put Vick's Vaporub on your feet (yes, your feet!) and your chest, cover feet with socks, dress as warmly as you can, climb under a ton of blankets and wrap them closely. At this point you should be so uncomfortably hot you feel like you're in a sauna. Now, I always take a couple Benadryl with this so I can sleep through this uncomfortably hot treatment!

In the morning, I feel 100% better! Many of you will say it was probably the Benadryl, but, trust me, Benadryl doesn't work THAT well! Actually, from a nursing standpoint, this treatment speeds up your metabolism, speeding up your immune system as well, resulting in a quick and better fight against whatever is trying to invade your system. I have tried this time and again and it works!

I also try to power up on orange juice during this time(the "just getting a cold time"), as just taking the Vit. C caps don't seem to work as well as the juice.

Just a little home remedy I like to use. Haven't had to take antibiotics at our house for nigh on 10 years now! Well, that could also be attributed to a change in our eating habits, as well, but this really works, folks! :)
Well, being on the tail end of a horrible summer cold, I'll tell you I tried this, and yes--I sweat like a so and so.

My cold didn't go away, I can't really say if the process was sped up, but my biggest problem is UNMOVING phlegm in my lungs. I had to take my expectorant, even though I didn't want to.

Any tips for a natural expectorant?

PS, I still have laryngitis. It's a mixed belssing for my kids. I don't talk, but if they make me HAVE to, there's gonna be trouble!!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, being on the tail end of a horrible summer cold, I'll tell you I tried this, and yes--I sweat like a so and so.
Well, I did say "at the beginning of a cold"... ;)

Beekissed wrote:
I'll tell you a tried and true remedy that I use for that "start of a cold" feeling one gets...you know, post nasal drip, congested sinuses, sore throat, cough...
At the "tail end" of a cold, whatever germ you had has run its course and you are usually dealing with the aftermath of irritated tissues, excess mucus, etc.

Lots and lots of water to thin secretions, anti-inflammatories (Motrin) for the inflamed tissues, nice hot shower to thin mucus and get you coughing, to get it out. Eucalyptus is always good for this also. Vicks is great!