Sore Throats

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Back to the sore throat. And coughing.
A former roomate (she was from Lithuania) made me try this one year. I guess my coughing was keeping her awake. :p
Chop up an onion real fine and cover it with sugar. Let it sit until juices form and drink the liquid a tablespoon full at a time. Sounds awfull, but it actually tastes quite good and it works. You do end up with onion breath, but you can take it every time your throat feels bad with no other side effects. When I have a cold I make up a small batch and keep it in a jar in the fridge.
The taste reminds me a little of caramelized onion.

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Having worked for a chiropractor many years ago....he recommended SIPPING on unsweetened pineapple juice. Do this for about 30 min. Sipping will coat the throat, and according to him, the pineapple juice will draw the natural antibodies to the inflamed area. I honestly have tried this and it works.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Ozark Hen said:
Having worked for a chiropractor many years ago....he recommended SIPPING on unsweetened pineapple juice. Do this for about 30 min. Sipping will coat the throat, and according to him, the pineapple juice will draw the natural antibodies to the inflamed area. I honestly have tried this and it works.
ewww what does unsweetened pineapple juice taste like?

Ozark Hen

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
it is fine but just doesn't have the added sweeteners. :lol:

Erdrick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I mix honey with yuzu, a Japanese lemon-like fruit. Makes my throat FEEL better, but does nothing to cure it as far as I can tell. I personally don't like spending a lot of time sleeping if I can help it though.

Instead, I like to get warm and play video games all day long. This usually helps to make me forget that I am actually even sick in the first place, and I get over the cold in no time.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
When you have mucus/phlegm try a shot of lemon juice (yes it's sour!) from a shot glass. I don't know why it works, but it does. You'll be spitting out chunks!

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know some of these things from working with a lot of singers...

Natural expectorant: very spicy food. really really works.

Sore throat: many good suggestions already given. also, I'm a big fan of Slippery Elm... those Thayer's lozenges, or just tea made from slippery elm bark.

silkiechicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My mom makes us drink a VERY strong half cup of water that is boiled to a golden brown with about 5 large cloves of garlic, a handful of diced ginger, and a table spoon of honey. It burns going down and leaves your mouth on fire for at least an hour... not sure if it really makes the sore throat better, or just distracts you from it!

She says that's what they did in china when there was no western medicine.