SOUP - the thread!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anyone have a fabulous Gazpacho recipe they would like to share?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oh, and my favorite squash soup recipe:

Roast butternut or acorn or any other winter squash till carmelized.
Stir fry onions and garlic until soft and carmelized
Cut out of rind and put in pot with onions/garlic and half and half or combo milk/cream, or even canned milk to cover it. I have cheated on the calories and used some chicken broth instead of some of the cream.
Simmer until everything is really soft, then blend it in a food processor or blender.
I add curry to taste and paprika. Add a little bit more chicken stock if it comes out too thick- mine frequently needs more "juice" than I think it does after it is all blended.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Auntie wanted me to post my pumpkin soup:

1 can of coconut milk
equal amount of pumpkin, cooked
equal amount of chicken stock

add a couple Tablespoons of your favorite curry spice mix or red curry paste

add 1-2 Tablespoons of sambel oelek (garlic chili paste)

cook chicken in nut or coconut oil with some soy sauce and rice vinegar. add to the soup.

sautee any veggies you like in oil and add to soup.

some people like to puree the veggies in, but I like the chunks.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:drool

And it is QUICK! I think it only took about 15 minutes to cook :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
Anyone have a fabulous Gazpacho recipe they would like to share?
A whole bunch of fresh tomatoes
A few fresh cukes with skin
A little onion
Whatever other veggies your blender can handle that you like in salad
Salt and pepper
Fresh or dried salad dressing herbs of your choice...I love basil and oregano and parsley.
Garlic if you'd like...I don't like raw garlic, so I use garlic powder.

A bit of ACV or other vinegar of your choice.

Blend until liquidy and coarsely ground. Add more tomatoes if more liquid is needed. This seems to take up a lot of herbs.

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Carrot Soup

Couple pounds (kilo or so) of carrots. Scrub well, or peel them. The less woody the better. Chop them into roughly even pieces.

Chop a couple onions.

Crush some garlic.

Heat a pan with EVOO, and sautee the carrots and onion and garlic. Make sure nothing sticks or burns.

Put it all into the crockpot with enough hot water or stock to cover, and whatever herbs/spices you like. Let it cook for however long it takes to soften everything.

Cool the soup slightly. Puree in a blender or with a stick blender. Heat back up, adjust flavor if neccesary, and serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired, or stir in a bit of cream for a richer soup.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
thanks for posting that, I need to learn to make and store my own stock.
A cheap way to make chicken stock is to roast a bunch of chicken leg quarters until nicely browned....or whole chickens. Strip off some of the meat for use in sandwiches and other recipes, but don't be too thorough. Throw all the skin and bones and meat bits into a stock pot and also add the pan drippings. Add water to the roasting pan and put on a low burner and cook, stirring and scraping, to get all the brown goodness into the stock pot.

Add a glug of ACV and bring to a hard boil. Skim off any icky foam that is produced. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer overnight or for 24 hours.

Strain, and cool. Remove hardened fat and SAVE for other uses, like for biscuits to serve with the soup or for the pie crust for a pot pie. Or to flavor with herbs to toss with root veggies to roast in the winter.

I don't add veggies to my basic stocks/broths. I add the veggies when I make the soup. This way I can choose to use some of it to make a reduction and make super yummy sauces. Scallions are a key ingredient to my soups, especially those that call for chicken broth. Also, adding a cup or two of puree'd roasted pumpkin or squash make any soup taste richer without changing the flavor. I always freeze up a bunch in the fall for this purpose, and to add to catfood.

For beef, pork, or goat broth, you ideally need both marrow bones and "meaty" bones. Roast these in the oven until nicely browned and follow the above procedure. Neck bones are great for the meaty bones.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is one that is a favorite in our house, and it is hard to make enough for leftovers, as everyone keeps going back for more, more, more. Even the proclaimed soup-is-not-a-meal-it-is-a-beverage person, my dad.

Garden Chowder

You can mix and match the vegetables as to what you may have on hand. I try to keep it as colorful as possible.

1/2 chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup butter
1 cup each diced sweet potato, celery, cauliflower, carrot and broccoli
3 cups of chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 T minced fresh parsley
3 cups (12 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese (can be adjusted as desired)
In a Dutch oven or large pot, saute green pepper, onion and butter until tender. Add vegetables, broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Combine flour and milk until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the parsley. Just before serving, stir in the cheese until melted. Yield: 6-8 servings.

Last time I made this I used sweet potato, rutabaga, turnip, parsnips, carrots, red pepper, brocolli, snow peas, onions, garlic, and scallions. I always make a huge batch and everyone snarfs it down. Even with tripling it, it is tough to have leftovers with four people....last time, we had enough for two people to have lunch the next day!