SOUP - the thread!

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since having my own chickens I have been putting clean egg shells in my chicken stock mix. It doesn't change the taste but I see a lot of milky looking stuff at the bottom of the jars that I assume is minerals. I read it some where and have never been able to find it again. I didn't want to use store bought bleached or whatever they do to them shells so it just came back to me with my own eggs. I am sooo bad about taking my supplements I try to help myself with what I make. Any body else ever heard of this?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
GardenWeasel said:
Since having my own chickens I have been putting clean egg shells in my chicken stock mix. It doesn't change the taste but I see a lot of milky looking stuff at the bottom of the jars that I assume is minerals. I read it some where and have never been able to find it again. I didn't want to use store bought bleached or whatever they do to them shells so it just came back to me with my own eggs. I am sooo bad about taking my supplements I try to help myself with what I make. Any body else ever heard of this?
What do you do to the shells before using them? Grind them to powder?

Sounds interesting.

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Making a big pot of potato, chicken, jalapeno and whatever else I find soup. We had roast chicken on Sunday so doing the stock right now. I just threw the rinsed shells from breakfast right in the pot. I will strain it when it is done and the chickens get the solids. I can't really find lots of shell when it is done so maybe they dissolve from the vinegar.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Here is one I posted before, when I was looking for a taco soup recipe that was NOT made with a can of this and a jar of that commercial product. This is what I came up with based on those recipes but re-worked to use ingredients from my garden and my own canning:

Taco Soup

Meat -1 lb/pint
diced tomatoes 2 lbs/pints
tomato sauce 1 lb/pint
corn (optional) 2 cups hominy or sweet corn
onion 1 large, diced
garlic 2-3 large cloves, minced
beans 2 cans/jars
oregano 1 tsp dry
cayenne - 1 tsp, to taste
chili powder 1 Tbsp, or diced hot peppers
salt to taste
cumin tsp, or not!
water or broth 2-3 cups, if needed/wanted

Please check it over, as I am not experienced with cooking with hot peppers and don't know if this is as good starting point....I think it may be kinda mild if I use a tablespoon of minced mixed hot peppers (all medium hot) and a 1/2 tsp of home-grown cayenne, rather hot. I suppose I can put the jar of peppers on the table for those who want it hotter.

eta: When I preview this, the ingredients are nicely tabbed in columns, but when I submit it, they get a bit messed up.....sorry!

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One of my faves:
Big bunch of kale
A small purple cabbage (purple for the kids)
1 lrg onion
3-5 cloves of garlic (I really like garlic)
3-4 med sweet potatoes
3-4 carrots or parsnips
Pinch or 2 of rosemary and sage
Enough stock to cover
1-2 lb of your favorite kielbasa or smoked sausage

This turns out kinda sweet and savory, I cut the sweet potatoes kinda big to allow for some of it thickening the broth. Yum...

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread, because I just found it.

What we had for supper last night:

Asparagus soup

Couple of onions, diced
couple large teaspoons ground garlic - (ground all mine from last year and store in fridge)
glug (exact measurements here!) of veggie oil.
Cook onions and garlic until soft.
Add in about 6 cups of fresh asparagus
salt and pepper to taste, I added lots of pepper by mistake and it turned out ok (like 1 1/2 tsp of freshly ground)
Cook until the asparagus gets to about crisp tender.
I also added some mustard powder (maybe teaspoon)
Cover with about 5 cups chicken stock
Can of chickpeas

Cook until everything is tender

You can eat it like this, but my kids "don't like" asparagus soup, so I use the stick blender and mix it all up, so they eat "green soup" ;)

oops, forgot to add the really important part. When it's all blended, add in a couple dollops of sour cream (ok, like 1/4 to 1/2 cup) and mix in.

It's super thick and creamy. Would have been better with some crusty bread, but we were too busy to do that yesterday.

Latest posts