Sourdough

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What I did this morning was placed my loaf into the oven on gas mark 1, and left the door open. Took it out for a stretch then put it into the pot before it was going too be baked then leaving it in the oven one more same on setting for 20 minutes before putting up the heat.

It was proofing in the cool temperature in my kitchen in between stretching it from 3am until 11. It's looking okay too me but have to wait before I can taste it.

By the way I added a couple of drops of iodine and yogurt this time with a fair amount of pumkin and flaxseeds

View attachment 17081
That was well worth the time and effort. :drool

All thanks too Ron from Byc. I would never have attempted sourdough if it wasn't for him :)

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not fair! Posting this picture of perfect bread, look how crusty and yummy! if you were within driving distance, I'd be on your doorstep with a jar of home made wild plum jam! It is a little far to swim........... :lol:
I would bake a loaf just for you. Wouldn't that be just lovely to actually meet you :hugs:love

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH's method is even simpler. He discovered that, like grapes, the yeasts needed to ferment your dough are present ON the whole wheat grains. He grinds his flour, adds water to make a pasty mixture (remember paste from first grade?) and let it sit until you see bubbles. It should have a fermenting type smell. Check it every day- the starter should double in size anywhere from 24-48 hours. At this point, you can use it to make good bread, but it won't be sourdough per se for a while. Something a lot of people don't discuss is that, like most fermented foods, sourdough is kind of picky about the temperature. Most ferments do best in temps around the mid-50's to mid-60's. We have to be extra careful in the summer, because the heat can encourage all the wrong sorts to settle in the neighborhood, lol.

He recommends https://www.pantrymama.com/ She knows what she's doing.
How can you tell if you're growing the wrong stuff?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I prefer to get a start from someone, whether I buy one or a generous soul offer to share.
I have tried to "catch" wild yeast for a starter. 3 out of 4 times, it ended with the wrong things growing in there. The 3 bad times were all in Wyoming - high mountain desert is a rough climate.
I like the simplicity of knowing that I have the right stuff growing - something that will raise my bread or at least one that won't make me sick.
My home grown starter here in Wyoming was fantastic.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@R2elk I am glad to hear that you have been able to keep your sourdough alive and well.
My sourdough starter was 4 years old when I moved out to Wyoming. 2 months later is was pink with grey fuzzies. My second starter lasted almost a year before going pink. I may have been the problems, but I treated just like I did in Wisconsin. My neighbor (who thought she was a homemaker goddess) had the same problems that I did.
But I didn't give up, I am still working on getting a sour dough starter going in healthy.
The thing that gave mine a jump start was adding some wheat flour to it. It got active really quick after that.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
it sounds like your air contains enough off-type algae, moss, bacteria or fungi that you should probably keep it covered in the fridge to prevent it from being contaminated. often just keeping the container closed but not so much that air can't get in will do it. there is no way i can keep a starter culture going here in the fridge at all - Mom needs every bit of fridge space she can get at times.
I never kept mine fully exposed to the air. Way too many different molds in the air in my house.