Sourdough

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I find iodine helps me with my immune system, same for my cat and dog but they have a different form of it that suits them.
It's got me through the flu and colds and I use it on wounds.

Apparently it also help to fortify the bread. I think it used to be added but isn't anymore

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score

Quick Sourdough Starter​

Ingredients​

• 4 cups warm water
  • 1 package dry yeast
  • 5 tablespoons sugar
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 large 1 Russet potato peeled and quartered

Instructions​

1. Whisk the water and yeast together in a crock jar that is at least 1 gallon. You can also use the ceramic insert from a crock pot if you don’t have a jar. Just don’t store in metal!
  2. Mix in the sugar and let set a couple minutes.
  3. Stir in flour. The consistency should be just slightly thinner than a pancake batter. Adjust your water or flour if needed to reach desired consistency.
  4. Drop in the potato. Cover with a cup towel. Stir about 6 hours in. The starter is ready to use in 12 hours, but I like to let it set about 24 hours before using for a more traditional sourdough flavor.

This is what I use it is Cowboy Kent Rollins recipe,

Check out his youtube channel for some amazing recipes and great humor .

Perris

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Why use a package when you can make the starter by scratch with minimal ingredients , flour , water , sugar , yeast , potatoes
minimal ingredients for sourdough are flour + water. The yeasts arrive from the air in your environment, and are suited to your environment. Another important 'ingredient' is patience while that starter gets going :gig
But once it's going, it can go on forever. A SF bakery has one over 100 years old!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So we have a softner for our water. If I get some water out the tap and let it sit for 24 hours, will it be good to use in the starter?

Edit- we have well water

it might be ok, but a bit saltier than wanted. letting it sit won't change much at all IMO - that is, i doubt you're chlorinating as part of a water softener set up. :)

i'm assuming you normally cook with bottled water?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We don't cook with bottled water. But we drink filtered water and so do the pets. I grew up on well water with a water softner. Are you not supposed to?
You should not be drinking softened water due to its high sodium content. Normally the water softener is hooked up only to the hot water supply. It is not normally hooked up to the cold water supply because you should not be using it for cooking, drinking or watering plants.