Sourdough

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You should not be drinking softened water due to its high sodium content. Normally the water softener is hooked up only to the hot water supply. It is not normally hooked up to the cold water supply because you should not be using it for cooking, drinking or watering plants.

good point, i have no idea what normal practice is for plumbing and water softeners. we have well water with rust/calcium in the water but we don't have a water softener.

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have used this recipe several times,
https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/homemade-bread/sourdough-bread-starter-ze0z1608zfol

I have also used this one https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe

now that my kraut is jarred up, I think getting a starter going is a great idea!

IMG_0013.JPG

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My home is cool as well. I think this was my problem. I don't leave the heating on when I sleep.
Ya, its cool in here this morning, I didnt build a fire. Cool enough my hands are cold :cool: I'll build one after I go let the hens out of the coop,
but,,,,,,
Me thinks one more cup of coffee first :caf

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What I did this morning was placed my loaf into the oven on gas mark 1, and left the door open. Took it out for a stretch then put it into the pot before it was going too be baked then leaving it in the oven one more same on setting for 20 minutes before putting up the heat.

It was proofing in the cool temperature in my kitchen in between stretching it from 3am until 11. It's looking okay too me but have to wait before I can taste it.

By the way I added a couple of drops of iodine and yogurt this time with a fair amount of pumkin and flaxseeds

View attachment 17081
It looks great!!! I have never heard of putting iodine and yogurt in,,, how come?