Sourdough

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The thing that gave mine a jump start was adding some wheat flour to it. It got active really quick after that.
Good thinking. I'll do this when I get out again. I've used rye flour with a touch of fresh pineapple juice.
It's stopped bubbling but smells good so I've gone ahead and I have a loaf in the oven right now 🤞 it will turn out ok

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My home is cool as well. I think this was my problem. I don't leave the heating on when I sleep.
Ya, its cool in here this morning, I didnt build a fire. Cool enough my hands are cold :cool: I'll build one after I go let the hens out of the coop,
but,,,,,,
Me thinks one more cup of coffee first :caf

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ya, its cool in here this morning, I didnt build a fire. Cool enough my hands are cold :cool: I'll build one after I go let the hens out of the coop,
but,,,,,,
Me thinks one more cup of coffee first :caf
What I did this morning was placed my loaf into the oven on gas mark 1, and left the door open. Took it out for a stretch then put it into the pot before it was going too be baked then leaving it in the oven one more same on setting for 20 minutes before putting up the heat.

It was proofing in the cool temperature in my kitchen in between stretching it from 3am until 11. It's looking okay too me but have to wait before I can taste it.

By the way I added a couple of drops of iodine and yogurt this time with a fair amount of pumkin and flaxseeds

20211114_132426.jpg

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What I did this morning was placed my loaf into the oven on gas mark 1, and left the door open. Took it out for a stretch then put it into the pot before it was going too be baked then leaving it in the oven one more same on setting for 20 minutes before putting up the heat.

It was proofing in the cool temperature in my kitchen in between stretching it from 3am until 11. It's looking okay too me but have to wait before I can taste it.

By the way I added a couple of drops of iodine and yogurt this time with a fair amount of pumkin and flaxseeds

View attachment 17081
That was well worth the time and effort. :drool

All thanks too Ron from Byc. I would never have attempted sourdough if it wasn't for him :)

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

View attachment 17081
It looks great!!! I have never heard of putting iodine and yogurt in,,, how come?

Marie2020

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I find iodine helps me with my immune system, same for my cat and dog but they have a different form of it that suits them.
It's got me through the flu and colds and I use it on wounds.

Apparently it also help to fortify the bread. I think it used to be added but isn't anymore

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

View attachment 17081
Not fair! Posting this picture of perfect bread, look how crusty and yummy! if you were within driving distance, I'd be on your doorstep with a jar of home made wild plum jam! It is a little far to swim........... :lol: