Spelling and grammar

clstratton

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Speaking of spelling and grammar, does anyone else find it annoying to find these errors in published books? It just makes me wonder how much editors get paid, that these errors still manage to slip past. As long as it's just spelling and grammar errors, I would do it for them. :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have a French background and walla or wa la or whatever drives me insane!! :rolleyes:

Voila means "there is" or what we would say in English, "There it is!"

Viola is an instrument. Or a small flower. I have been thinking of calling our farmlet "Blue Viola!" (Not to be confused with Blue Walla....)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Viola tricolor - I potted up 80 or so today for the plant sale, they're weeds in my yard. I am a horticulture snob, I use the botanical names - Viola tricolor is the botanical name for Johnny Jump-ups. Their other common name is Heart's Ease. I like that one. They are weeds in my garden, and I love them.

Sorry for hijack, returning you to spelling and grammar.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Or a small flower.
I think that the small flower is a violet, but you have to be really careful because this is one of those words that has two definitions.

Here are examples of the correct usage.

"That is a beautiful violet." (flower) :)

"My neighbor called me ugly, and I really got violet." (very angry) :somad

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Proper scientific names are an acceptable topic for this thread. After all, the thread is about spelling and grammar. Let's not get too excited about punctuation though, just a little bit excited.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Proper scientific names are an acceptable topic for this thread. After all, the thread is about spelling and grammar. Let's not get too excited about punctuation though, just a little bit excited.
:thumbsup You got it dac. I'm with you all the way! :frow

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
clstratton said:
Speaking of spelling and grammar, does anyone else find it annoying to find these errors in published books? It just makes me wonder how much editors get paid, that these errors still manage to slip past. As long as it's just spelling and grammar errors, I would do it for them. :)
Drives me batty! I just finished a wonderful book, but there had to be 2 dozen errors in there. And they were glaringly bad ones that would have been caught by one run-through of spell check!