Spelling and grammar

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Dac, I have a very serious question.

What about commas in a series these days? You know, when I was in second grade and learning to use those, the teacher, Ms. Williams, said it was alright to put a comma before and OR you could leave it out--either way.

Then, by the time I was in middle school, the teachers said absolutely LEAVE IT OUT. No comma before the and.

Then, when I was in my mid twenties (about 10 or 12 years ago) I was taking a grammar class provided by my employer. The instructor told us once again it could go either way. And now, as my son is writing college papers, he says that we have come full circle back to putting the comma before and again.

What say you, sir?

ex: pickles, plums, pizza, and peppers (I'm referring to the last comma)

Cassandra
What say you?

I like Bill O'Reilly.

I go with comma before the and or the or.

Something that has changed is that now only one space after a period is the correct way. I disagree, two spaces make it more visible that you are at the end of a sentence.

dacjohns

Reaction score
:old

I am not an expert by any means.

Since I have appointed myself the spelling and grammar nit picker I can pick what ever nits I want to pick. If a nit is big I might pick it. If it is small I might miss it or ignore it. If I don't feel like picking nits then I won't pick them.

OK, got that out of my system.

:frow
That's me smiling and waving.

:hide
Since we don't have a cloak room or a coat room or any other place to go to settle our differences I will hide under the chair.

This keyboard is not like my own keyboard. You should see all the mistakes I had to correct because of the keyboard. Especially the ones that require the use of the shift key.

What's with the capital N and the capital S?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I agree on the two spaces after a period, it's the way I was taught, I learned how to type that way, and I just am never going to even try to break myself of it. I'm a very fast typist, learned on a manual and could type 85 WPM on that old Olympia! I have to say I do enjoy how easy it is to fix mistakes now, back in the old days you had that white-out paper or the little bottle, it never looked right after you made the correction!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
:old

I am not an expert by any means.

Since I have appointed myself the spelling and grammar nit picker I can pick what ever nits I want to pick. If a nit is big I might pick it. If it is small I might miss it or ignore it. If I don't feel like picking nits then I won't pick them.

OK, got that out of my system.

:frow
That's me smiling and waving.

:hide
Since we don't have a cloak room or a coat room or any other place to go to settle our differences I will hide under the chair.

This keyboard is not like my own keyboard. You should see all the mistakes I had to correct because of the keyboard. Especially the ones that require the use of the shift key.

What's with the capital N and the capital S?
ROFL, I wondered if you'd notice!

dacjohns

Reaction score
Hey, do you think maybe we could get people to start spelling "niece" and "weird" correctly? Those particular misspellings drive me crazy!
Alright, you're on notice. I before e except after c or when sounded as (long)a as in neighbor and weigh. And then there are the exceptions.

dacjohns

Reaction score
okiemommy said:
I have Firefox. I LOVE that about it. It spares me from being roasted by you on the spelling....now grammer...completely different story.
It didn't help you with grammar.

dacjohns

Reaction score
:he The word isn't waddles, it is wattles. Waddle is what ducks do. A wattle is that thing on a chicken.

I've said this before here haven't I?

Maybe I should post a rant in the chicken place but this forum is safer.

Thank you for indulging me.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Is this wattle and waddle posted over in BYC?
and you came here to rant about it?......LOL-LOL-LOL

if that is the case, hmm....come on, go post this over there and see what they say....I wanna watch..LOL

:pop

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to post my pet peeve. I see it all the time, not just on BYC, but on Beemaster, too.

"I am going to sale some birds."

No, you're not. You are going to sell some birds. Or you have some birds for sale. You do not sale anything, unless you change the spelling and put it in the water :barnie

Why do I beat my head against a brick wall? Because it feels good when I stop! :he

There. I'm over it until the next time I see it.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
HAHAHA

Ann I hate that, too!

When someone says, "I'm gonna warsh the car."

OMG It's WASH not WARSH there is NO R IN WASH!!

Or when they say CHIMLY

ARGHH! It's CHIMNEY there is NO L!!