Spelling and grammar

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Last time I heard cloak room was in grade one. Then we moved and switched to a newer school that didn't have cloak rooms. I almost forgot about them.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dac, I have a very serious question.

What about commas in a series these days? You know, when I was in second grade and learning to use those, the teacher, Ms. Williams, said it was alright to put a comma before and OR you could leave it out--either way.

Then, by the time I was in middle school, the teachers said absolutely LEAVE IT OUT. No comma before the and.

Then, when I was in my mid twenties (about 10 or 12 years ago) I was taking a grammar class provided by my employer. The instructor told us once again it could go either way. And now, as my son is writing college papers, he says that we have come full circle back to putting the comma before and again.

What say you, sir?

ex: pickles, plums, pizza, and peppers (I'm referring to the last comma)

Cassandra

eggzettra

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Homesteadmom said:
My biggest pet peeve in the language department is "me and". I had a teacher in 5th grade that whenever we would use that term she would reply that (name used) is not mean. It broke a lot of us form using it & phrased it properly as ?? & I. I have done that with my children too. Unfortuntaly the wrong way is used all over the place tv & movies included now.
So are we allowing the "tenseness" of the situation to allow one to slide by?

Tucks & runs for cover. . . . :hide

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
2dream said:
Children, Children, Please, No fighting. We will have to send you both to the cloak room.
(I think I just showed my age. When was the last time you heard "Cloak Room")?
Wow, I don't want to even admit that I actually know what a cloak room is!
Are we fighting? I'm just standing up for my signature line. When I mess up in an actual post, I'll take what I've got coming!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
Dac, I have a very serious question.

What about commas in a series these days? You know, when I was in second grade and learning to use those, the teacher, Ms. Williams, said it was alright to put a comma before and OR you could leave it out--either way.

Then, by the time I was in middle school, the teachers said absolutely LEAVE IT OUT. No comma before the and.

Then, when I was in my mid twenties (about 10 or 12 years ago) I was taking a grammar class provided by my employer. The instructor told us once again it could go either way. And now, as my son is writing college papers, he says that we have come full circle back to putting the comma before and again.

What say you, sir?

ex: pickles, plums, pizza, and peppers (I'm referring to the last comma)

Cassandra
I've noticed the change over the years as well, mostly because "spell check" is always telling me to add a comma that I finally taught myself to leave out. I'll be interested to see what our resident expert has to say!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
727_smiley_whipping_a_whip.gif

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OMG ya'll went NUTS in a few days!

dac, just leave my post alone.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:frow I know what a cloak room is!!!!! Me! Pick me!! I know, I know!!! Guess that makes me another curmudgeon! :old :D

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
If everyone just makes a post on this thread that has at least one misteak in it then a lot of work will be saved for me.
Did you say you very seldom make mistakes? check the spelling above.:p

Latest posts