Splain your user name!

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Ibicella is the first half of the latin name for "Ibicella Lutae," or the "Devil's Claw" plant.

I chose the name because I'm a carnivorous plant enthusiast, and the Devil's Claw is a semi-carnivorous plant that's a dumpy brown seed pod that attaches itself through two long hooks to passing animals in order to spread and propagate. It also blooms surprisingly lovely purple flowers. I have been told I also have a habit of playing "Devil's Advocate" and tend to lend ideas that "hook" into people's heads. So it seemed an appropriate choice.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Hang on, this is gonna take awhile.........I need to go find a couple of pictures and upload them..........and tell you why this is also the story of my heart attack........

OK......I am a gearhead....plain and simple.....always have been-always will be........back in 1998, I realized the ONE kind of vehicle I had not yet built was a streetrod. Since my first love is for Chrysler Corporation vehicles(I bleed MOPAR) it HAD to be an all Chrysler vehicle. I located this 1938 Dodge truck out in Hermann Missouri. Drove 11 hours one way to get it. At that time the truck was ALL ORIGINAL, ran and drove great. It was soooo original is was sickening. I got the original bill of sale, the original title and the originally issued license plates when I bought that truck! I should have been shot for cutting it up, but hey........I did not have a digital camera when this project began so every picture from the beginning I have is on film and I am to lazy to transfer any of them over to digital.
On to the story.....Just after bringing the truck home, I was introduced to a young, up and coming(so I thought) custom fabricator. this kid showed a lot of talent in the work that I watched come out of his shop. At the time he was working out of a small garage at his home, just like me. I had a mental picture in my mind what I wanted to end up with, but realized it was going to require some metal fabrication so I hired Patrick to actually mount the body on the new Art Morrison chassis that I had bought. So far so good, I got the truck back home and spent almost a year wiring and plumbing the truck. You have to understand all this was custom work. You can't just go to WalMart and buy a wiring harness to fit a 1938 Dodge Brothers pickup with Air Ride suspension and 360 cubic inch Magnum engine with an overdrive transmission. :gig At this point, I had about 40 grand invested just in parts............and I was able to DRIVE the truck back down to Patrick's shop with the late model drive train and chassis under it. THAT was the first,last and ONLY time I ever got to drive that truck.
On to stage two..........
By the time I got the truck up and running, Patrick had moved out of his small home shop and opened a real hot rod shop in town, with all the real headaches that come along with it. I took the truck back to him for the finish fabrication, the body and paint work and a custom interior. One day I stopped in the see what was up and Pat had some doodles on his desk. he was trying to come up with a vanity plate, and one of his doodles was "SCRAPIN"(he had a lowrider at the time) we did a little tinkering and came up with "SKR8PN" as in "it is scrapin' the ground" So the truck became SKR8PN!!!
Since he struggling to pay the bills, I had agreed to "pay as we go" but since we were "buddies" I never got anything in writing as to how much, how long or how deep to go. MY BAD. He took serious advantage of me.......3 years and 50,000 dollars in labor later( there is a whole other story about his work ethic) the truck STILL wasn't painted........now you can begin to see where the heart attack comes from........We blew up at each other and I brought the truck home. In pieces. 6 pickup truck loads and two 24 ft trailer loads of pieces! That was when I found just exactly how bad I had been screwed.........
Anyway...here is the truck after I brought it home and put it together.........remember it has air ride suspension and this is when it is "aired out"
380463425.jpg

After getting the truck home and finding all the bullsh!t that had been done to it,I spent another year correcting as many of his mistakes as I could......I then contracted with ANOTHER body shop to get it painted. That body shop told me to got ahead and take it back apart and call him when it was ready.......... I took it all back apart(this is no easy task by the way) and gave him a call.........
8 months later the truck was STILL in my shop in a million pieces.:he :he :he All I ever got from the "body man II" was more bullsh!t promises.......... I had had ENOUGH!! I stuck an add online and within 2 weeks had a guy that wanted it. We traded vehicles(that is how I ended up with the Daytona race car). It took the new owner of the truck over 3 years to correct all of Patrick's screw ups and get the truck painted. Here is how the truck looks as of about a year ago.....
380463430.jpg

ANYWAY...........that is the how and why I am known as SKR8PN.

That is my story and I am sticking to it.:frow

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think after an experience like that, I'd change my user name just so I wouldn't have to be reminded of it all the time....

I'm very uncreative. When I needed a user name, I looked around the room looking for anything that would generate a thought. The day before, my dh brought home an inchworm he found in the office and gave it to the kids to watch. So when I looked around, I saw the inchworm in the jar, and used the name.

And yes, we let the inchworm go back outside after a couple of days, but 5 years later, I still use the name. And it's so great that it rhymes with "grinch" :)

Inchy

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine too is a long story - but I'll try to shorten it.
Long ago and far away.... no that's another story....
Years ago, when I was still young and agile, I was an office manager for a major bluejeans manufacturer. At least once a year we got to go to a big 3 or 4 day meeting in major cities in the US. Needless to say, I had fun! And I usually had a pretty big following. Someone coined the phrase -"Here come KC (my initials) and her Sunshine Band." For some reason I found the OM's from the east to be rather stuffy. The ones from the west were a fun lot, and I usually hung around with them.:weee
You know, chickens act a lot like that.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I started over at BYC, but for the life of me can't remember my username over there. But when SS first came about, I was just starting up with the whole garden, chicken thing. I also was (although I didn't know it) wanting to be on the path to SS, and always told the DH "Just like the Pioneers did it". I was always referencing the Pioneers, and seem to use their ways as a guide. So, when it came to this forum, what better name than Pioneer girl?

Not a very exciting story, but its all I got. And yeah, my sub-title is correct.....I'm a wanna be. :cool:

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine was easy, my "job" is being a rebbetzin, the wife of a rabbi.

And it is not that common a user name, so I am use it lots of places.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Chipmunk was my nickname all through high school. It's what I looked like before I got braces on my teeth. :D

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How I got my user name is not as interesting as most of yours are.

My names Deb and I was 40 (oh could it really be THAT long ago lol) when I first got online.:caf

There you have it,my life is so exciting :ya

Latest posts