Sprouted Wheat Berry Flour, Grain Mills, and Bread

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
After 2nd rise. I'm not liking the big air bubbles.
20211014_211015.jpg

Then reshaped the loaf, and hope oven proofing is sufficient because its late and I'm tired.

20211014_211139.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Total fail! :gig Way too much moisture. It was thick overbaked crust on top and bread pudding the rest of the way through. :gig I hope my chickens appreciate it. :gig

I will try letting the blendered wheat dough rest before I add yeast. I think it's going to take a lot more time to develop the dough. I need to try ways to reduce moisture. I don't want to dehydrate the wheat berries. I could try using the blender instead of food processor bowl and try using less liquid. I could try letting it rise on my counter instead of my bread machine - it would take longer and lose more moisture.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Total fail! :gig Way too much moisture. It was thick overbaked crust on top and bread pudding the rest of the way through. :gig I hope my chickens appreciate it. :gig

I will try letting the blendered wheat dough rest before I add yeast. I think it's going to take a lot more time to develop the dough. I need to try ways to reduce moisture. I don't want to dehydrate the wheat berries. I could try using the blender instead of food processor bowl and try using less liquid. I could try letting it rise on my counter instead of my bread machine - it would take longer and lose more moisture.
Just a thought... Sprout, dry, then mill? Sprouts dry out in a few hours in direct sunlight. I think you might be on to something. Maybe some new health food craze or something.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did you try a bite of the crust? Since it was at least cooked, I would have had to try a bite of it. LOL You keep playing with it and you will figure it out.

@CrealCritter sprouted, dried wheat berries that are ground into flour is called spelt. You can buy it. @tortise is trying to make her own. Sprouting the wheat changes it, people that cannot eat wheat can often eat spelt with no issues.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spelt is an ancient grain. It was abandoned in favor of modern wheat because a) modern wheat has the highest yield per acre of all grains, I believe. and b) Spelt is much more difficult to thresh, (in fact, most spelt is organic because insects have a hard time breaking through the bran to get to the grain, making it unnecessary to apply pesticides