Sprouted Wheat Berry Flour, Grain Mills, and Bread

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a Family Grain Mill. It comes with a hand crank and I ordered the electric motor. MUCH easier, but I have the hand crank in case of SHTF. I think I would have much greater problems in a SHTF situation than hand grinding wheat.

Sprouted wheat berry flour or spelt, can be made easier. I read an article on it once. This thread reminded me. Sprout the wheat. Instead of drying or dehydrating, then grinding, take the wet sprouted wheat and run it through a blender, maybe with the liquid you use for the recipe for the bread. Then add the ingredients as usual.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sprouted wheat berry flour or spelt, can be made easier. I read an article on it once. This thread reminded me. Sprout the wheat. Instead of drying or dehydrating, then grinding, take the wet sprouted wheat and run it through a blender, maybe with the liquid you use for the recipe for the bread. Then add the ingredients as usual.
I was wondering if putting sprouted wheat in a blender would work! I wasnt excited about the prospect of dehydrating after sprouting. I will try that first. If it works well I will get a hand crank grain mill for in case of power outages/SHTF

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Here we go!
20211013_113938.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm coming at this from a different angle... I believe by sprouting your wheat, your actually malting it. This is what it's called when brewing beer. You take the grains and sprout them, then dry them out and mill them to crack them. Then you steep them in hot water to allow the natural enzymes to convert the starches into sugars. They you drain and rinse them in more hot water to get every last little bit of sugars out of the grains. And all that liquid becomes beer wort that you boil, cool to room temperature then ferment with beer yeast. Of course all of what I just said is so high-level it's of little to no value to actually produce a drinkable beer. But I find it really interesting that you're going to make malted bread. It sounds delicious 😋 let us know how it turns out, please 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Soggy dough 😬 I was able to shape a loaf but I'm doubtful of this attempt. I sprouted 3 cups wheat berries since my recipe calls for 3 cups flour. It swelled and doubled in size. I put 3 cups sprouted wheat berries in Ninja food processor bowl. Didnt work. Added 1/2 cup of water since recipe calls for 1 cup water and the wheat absorbed some water already. That worked. I ran it for 2 minutes and the texture was like thick steel cut oats.

I used 1 T yeast, 1 t salt, 2 T maple syrup, 2 T avocado oil. Kept it simple so there are fewer variables to adjust.
20211014_200018.jpg