Sprouted Wheat Berry Flour, Grain Mills, and Bread

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I ordered hard red wheat berries for attempting sprouted wheat flour bread! I have always though it was too hard or to expensive. But now I'm ready to take more steps toward not being reliant on grocery stores. If sprouting and grinding wheat berries is successful, I plan to plant winter wheat next fall.

I havent bought a grain mill yet. I am debating between hand crank (exercise, no electicity, lower cost) and Kitchenaid stand mixer attachment. What would you pick and why?

Last edited:

Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a wondermill jr , which for me at the time works great , I have upgraded to a Grainmaker ( USA made ) either if you get a handcrank or lectric one homemade flour is amazing , you can make all different types , oatmeal , rice , wheat , sorghum, buckwheat etc for a fraction of the cost .

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have a wondermill jr , which for me at the time works great , I have upgraded to a Grainmaker ( USA made ) either if you get a handcrank or lectric one homemade flour is amazing , you can make all different types , oatmeal , rice , wheat , sorghum, buckwheat etc for a fraction of the cost .
Can it make rolled oats?

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
there's no way we can ever grow enough grain for our own flour and i sure wouldn't be able to hand crank it for milling either.

i would get a mill that can be manually turned or be used with a motor, that way you have options if you get too tired out or the power goes out. :) for a manual version i'd eventually want to figure out how to hook up a bike to pedal the mill instead of cranking by hand because the leg muscles are so much bigger and you can go a lot longer.