SS and healthy eating: Why avoid powdered milk?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well you are go to go on that front then. I haven't been brave enough (or hungry enough) to eat any of the ducks yet. :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Just cook your chickens with the skin on, no boneless breast meat like most people buy and use exclusively now. There will be just the right amount of fat, unless you are starving your chickens, which I am confident you are not! :D

Yep, wz, we are probably more on the same page then it appears sometimes, as the fingers type so fast and we forget what we've said and what we've left out.... :hugs

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yup, you are in some ways wiping out your great diet with all the sugar.....but it is still better than a high-sugar diet and a high-garbage diet! So you are half-way there.
Oh, don't I know it! I educate myself as much as possible about sugar to help steel myself to cut it out. Just have to get there...

Keep your kids healthy, too, as these habits start young, and the damage starts very young, too. Educate, educate, educate. Keep your kids aware of your research and your struggle.
My kids don't get much of this stuff. School lunch only once per week. Healthy snacks like fruit, veggies and dip, whole-grain bread dipped in olive oil and herbs. They are so well fed that they actually LOVE swiss chard quiche in whole wheat crust. I do, too :) So, we have real, whole foods and love them. They also do not get chips or desserts in their lunch. They get a whole-grain sandwich or similar, a veggie and a fruit. But, they definitely love sugar when they get their hands on it. I do let them have some treats because I don't want them to be obsessive about it. But, the more they have, the more they want. :/

Wifezilla

Reaction score
We threw it in the garbage along with the soy flour and the high fructose corn syrup :gig

andehens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It just hasn't been that long since melamine was found in powdered milk in China and in products containing powdered milk from China. I was going to buy some powdered milk and was trying to figure out the country of origin, not country where main office is, and failing that, did not buy a box. Although, if we are getting into our stashed supplies, a little melamine may be the least of our problems!! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thing is, you can live a long, full life without powdered milk or any dairy. I love my dairy foods, but know in a crisis I could be very healthy without them. Definitely wouldn't want to be doing anything to harm my health during a crisis, especially. If we need our stored foods to survive on, we probably won't be able to afford health care, either. May that never happen!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
I could live without dairy as long as I had a good stash of coconut milk. Once that and the coffee runs out, someone would have to get hurt :D

teresainNC

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Just read through all 8 pages of this discussion - very interesting reading and I agree with a lot of it.

With reference to sugar in my diet: I have found as I have gotten older that I really don't feel the need or craving for sweets most of the time. If I get ice cream on my mind, I go buy a cup of ice cream and eat it at one sitting. If I get pound cake on my mind, I make a small pound cake and share most of it with my parents or co-workers so it's not sitting around the house.

Two holiday seasons ago, I found myself eating way too many cookies and candies that people brought into the office. The more I ate of the sugary treats, the more I wanted to eat. I was absolutely out of control!!! I would just reach for them without even thinking about what I was doing! This experience really showed me what an addiction can be like. The last real good dessert I had was in late February at a retirement luncheon; eleven of us shared 4 slices of ice cream pie with hot chocolate sauce that our local country club is famous for. It was delicious and I enjoyed my few bites very much, but it did not set off any cravings for sweets and I am very glad.

Another dietary habit that I have changed is to stop drinking fruit juice and eat the whole fruit instead. It has been years now since I gave up fruit juice as I found it was hard for me to stop at one small 4 oz. glass with breakfast. Now I have a fresh apple, orange, peach, banana, some berries - whatever is in season - trying to have one piece of fresh fruit a day, stretching it out by having half for a morning snack and the rest in the afternoon or evening. You are getting the pulp and fiber when eating the whole fruit as opposed to drinking just the processed juice.

These habits and beliefs are what works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Good health to all!
Teresa