Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If Accuweather is to be believed, this will be the mildest winter I've seen in YEARS. That's ok by me. I have a pounding head ache. This seems to be my new MO for changing weather patterns. A storm coming today/tomorrow.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's amazing. The five penned together are acting like old buddies at a bar. Of course, there's plenty of room, bedding, roost, feed & water -- NO HENS. :D

Tonight I have plans to grab 4 or 5 more from their roosting and add to these five. It's even peaceful out there. The hens are loving this new situation. I knew they would! I mean, roosters are horny. Bad boys. :old

It's already 60 out there & going up a few more degrees. Nice day for me to get back outside. Feed run, then a project. :D

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sorry. Just need to rant and I know everyone here will understand.

People ignoring me online makes me frustrated. They asked for ways to get calcium in their diet after quitting milk. I stated quite truthfully that they needed to eat more dark leafy greens.

Then come the people touting seed milks as having more calcium than cow milk. The added calcium sulfate isn't used very well by our bodies. "Oh but it's 'natural'!" There is nothing natural about commercial seed milks. It's processed junk.

You don't even have to do much to make it at home anymore since there are appliances that will do the soak, grind, extract. "But it doesn't taste very good! And it's too thin!" Most people want that sweetened, thickened crap.

Commercial processed food are all barely edible, nutrition deficient junk.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good rant! People eat processed -- fact. They do not want the work they think is part of a good food meal. Simply buying wise and fresh, reading labels....eat more food without labels needed!....and they can be just fine. Personally, I'd not
ever want to have to give up my fresh milk!

A homesteader does work more if they grow & harvest their own food. No health issues and an active life make it worth the effort to me. But a good farmer's market and smart shopping can work for the "city dudes".

What MY RANT is -- those who use gov't food cards should not be able to fill their carts with soda, candy, cookies, sugary cereals, etc. Make them buy healthy food, not all the crap.
:he I have NO problem with the financial assist, just the ability to destroy their health at our expense. Then, all the health issues that follow need more money. Stop at source -- food.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry. Just need to rant and I know everyone here will understand.

People ignoring me online makes me frustrated. They asked for ways to get calcium in their diet after quitting milk. I stated quite truthfully that they needed to eat more dark leafy greens.

Then come the people touting seed milks as having more calcium than cow milk. The added calcium sulfate isn't used very well by our bodies. "Oh but it's 'natural'!" There is nothing natural about commercial seed milks. It's processed junk.

You don't even have to do much to make it at home anymore since there are appliances that will do the soak, grind, extract. "But it doesn't taste very good! And it's too thin!" Most people want that sweetened, thickened crap.

Commercial processed food are all barely edible, nutrition deficient junk.

when i was making my own soymilk it was so great to not have the sugars and other stuff added. i found it more refreshing and crisp. the additives are usually for making something more shelf stable so they don't have to throw it away so often from the stores. the added sugars and flavorings are for the entire population which is addicted to sugar. it takes some time to wean yourself off it (like salt or caffiene) it can be added to about anything.

i'll vote for leafy greens any time! or any vegetable for that matter. :)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Mini Horses : Sing it sister! If I had my way: ANYONE who receives SNAP benefits should not be buying processed foods. Way back in the day, government surplus foods were used to provide food supplements to folks with need. Peanut butter, beans, flour, cheese, pasta and such were passed out. If I had my way, SNAP benefits should come with more restrictions: To start, dietary consult and cooking classes. Then, non processed foods provided according to the food pyramid. Concessions could be made for recipients with legitimate need: working full time, taking care of disabled family members, living in substandard housing without adequate cooking facilities, individual disabilities including cognitive.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I fully believe that SNAP should have the same restrictions as WIC.

I can't remember everything for making soy milk. I cannot drink it unless I want to spend the next couple days sick. Biggest thing is I can't remember if it needs to be cooked at some point. Almonds you soak overnight. Put in blender with more water. Blend for several minutes. Drain in nut/jelly bag.

Latest posts