Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just got in from a bit of a day. I went 3 times last week to see what a guy needed for some wood cutting and tractor work. Starting today the 7 day forecast has 7 days of rain. Sprinkle today, rain tonight maybe, then the rain starts. Anyway I finally got there today to start and there was almost nothing I could do with out brush hogging first. So I worked at his neighbors (my buddy's) what I had been working on. Had to re-plug a tire before leaving then the plug blew on the way home. Thankfully near good people and a beer store. While talking I was having 2 people trying to call me. More yet I don't want to bother.
Have another cup of coffee on me.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have knocked ourselves out the last 3 days, getting the garden ready to plant and today I got some planting done. I've never been so LATE! Rain comes back tomorrow through next Sunday. At least the garden is ready and maybe I can run out between rain storms and stick something in the ground.

CLSranch

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
maybe I can run out between rain storms and stick something in the ground.
That's my plan this coming up week. The only reason I left work at 6ish is because I broke part of the PTO on the brush hog. But it gave me time to mess with the bee's when I got home. No gardening but with the rain coming I had to work on the other stuff.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I want to get some whipper snipping done today too, but jeez Im tired! Visitors take it out of ya! Haha.

I have to avoid the bulbs which could be tricky. Some are coming up where the mulch is and i worry they will rot at the stem. So i really need a day of hunting around and clearing around them so i dont accidently smother them, pull them out or chop them up.

Im not sure what the weather is going to do this week. Its a sunburn sunday today, bright blue with very high white clouds.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think I could raise broilers. Ive seen the ones my local chicken friends have had.
I thought that for a long time, because of what others have said about them, and seeing them at the fair, but last year decided to give some a try, and raising them my way, which is not the typical way people raise them.

They were truly free range. They were allowed to eat as much from their feeder as they wanted. They are very good foragers, just like my other chickens. All feathered out fully, and with no leg problems. Also, just as smart as any other chicken breed. Very calm birds and nice to have around.

There was only one who ate much more grain than the others, and he still did not have any leg problems. We butchered him early (at 11 weeks). The others we butchered at 16 and 17 weeks and they were big!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Morning y’all, going to be sunny for a couple of days before the rain and cloudiness comes back. Going to finally get the garden going.

Been picking dewberries, the early version of wild blackberries. Got 5 quart zip lock bags in the freezer. The berries are still ripening so we’ll pick until they are gone. They are free, growing in fence rows at the road, so why not! The wild plum trees are loaded. Late frost last year took them all out. In August we’ll be picking elderberries. I got a feeling it will be a bad flu season.
Wild plum trees! That is what I forgot about that is on my list to get!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have knocked ourselves out the last 3 days, getting the garden ready to plant and today I got some planting done. I've never been so LATE! Rain comes back tomorrow through next Sunday. At least the garden is ready and maybe I can run out between rain storms and stick something in the ground.
We need rain here really bad! The drought from last year is continuing.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've seen a few groups that were free ranged and looked good. I would not have such issue with those. The butcher is always my problem! The mess, the numbers, the doing alone!! You seem to tolerate it better with a helper to share the experience. :oops:
Still better than taking them to a butcher since it's less stress for the birds. Even with two people we still only butcher a few at a time.

Latest posts