Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Back to the garden to dig crabgrass this morning. I have a never ending supply.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Preserved egg yolks? What did I miss? Just googled it - I have GOT to try this!

Today, I think I'll turn some eggs and milk into sugar free pudding. I still need to try my hand at making lemon curd...sigh. So much to do.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I wouldn't have the ENERGY for more hours, lol. I'm getting too old for this s***
You and me both..... and I am in the process of buying a house because renting is just not worth the hassles with the landlord and not being able to have my chickens here or anything. Must be nuts....:old:he:hu:idunno:th

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ya'll crack me up! I'm planning to retire so I can stay home and DO MORE!!! :idunno ?

I'd thought Jan but, CV-19 has cut into my jobs enough that sometimes I think I am in forced retirement. That must be why I thought this oversized garden was needed??? to do more work.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorta like @Mini Horses as to the "forced retirement" but mine is not from the covid stuff; but from the continuing financial burdens in the dairy industry. Older farmers selling out because they have no one to take over, or the kids just see that there is no future in it with the low milk prices, gov't regulations, and often with NO RELIABLE HELP to be found for a wage price that the farmer can afford to pay. I have had 8 sell out in 2 years and another 2 have quit milk testing as it is not cheap and they are cutting corners where ever they can. Have another 2-3 that I see going out in the next couple of years due to age and no one to take them over. So I went from full time status to part-time in a 6 month period, and now have several that don't test every month like they used to. What I do is not state or federal, we are a private organization that offers a management tool for the farmer. Registered herds "test" because we are an independent body that can verify the farmers claims as far as production, BF etc.... for sale purposes. Commercial herds test to be able to keep up with the individual cows production and all. So my work load is about 1/2 what it was and I am not sorry. Once I get into the house, I may just go on and retire completely, but I may keep it for some part-time income.
But with the new house that I hope to call mine in a couple months, I plan to put in a big garden again, have a few fruit trees, have more chickens that I can keep at home.... and be able to milk my own cow(s) and have a place to do things my way without a landlord that constantly nit picks about stuff. SOOOO.... yep, more work.... but FOR MY own satisfaction. And my own increase in value of the place too.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, I'm not really complaining; I love living this lifestyle! But sometimes I get frustrated with myself, when I just can't motivate myself to get everything done that needs doing. That would probably change if SHTF... amazing what motivation hunger and cold can do, lol.