Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Many of the actual shelters around here have barn cat programs. They also aren't anywhere near as personally invasive. Proof you have permission from land lord or have your own house. Fenced yard is required for dogs. Spay or neuter is done before animal leaves shelter. I just am not into pit bull and chihuahua mixes.

The reason the one by Mom doesn't require a fenced yard is too many people live in the country there. They want people to adopt so they don't have to kill them.

We have quite a few stray cats out here that have been dumped in the last few years. When we got our barn cat kittens in 2012, no one near us had cats. Because they were kittens, they acclimatized to us within a few months.

Dogs and cats are chipped just in case they get picked up.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My last dog was a min-pin rescue. We were a team! She tried to be a "farm dog" by helping me with the goats. Only problem was she wanted to protect me from them. 😁 Didn't help when I was calling them in and her little self was trying to run them off. She never bothered any others...cats, chickens. And, she was quiet as I milked. Guess only when several came at once did she feel a threat. Still miss that little girl. We had 14 yrs together.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Fiery very much wanted to kill the chickens. She also terrorized the german shepherd who wanted to love her so much. Athena took a few years to get over her fear of small dogs instilled in puppyhood. Cranky old 12 pound schipperke vs 90 pounds of german shepherd and the schipperke ruled. Zeus, who weighs 40 pounds, didn't bow down to Fiery and she'd go after him. He never fought back, but would not move. He still doesn't when Athena tries yelling at him.

Athena is very good at yelling. Get up and stick your mouth over their head by the ears and "rarr-raaaa-raaa=raaarrrr" as loud as you can. Im surprised the cats have never hauled off and smacked her when she's done it to them.

Only time a cat went for her was when she accidentally knocked me down and I yelped. Luke came marching over and smacked her in the face a few times. He almost got her again another time for accidentally tripping me, but I saw him coming and my assurance to Athena that she was good and I was OK stopped him. I then went and pet him. If someone broke into the house, the 13 pound cat is the one most likely to save me. His sister is too much an introvert.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Having my coffee right now, trying to decide what to do today. Over this summer, have made some progress on the "stuff". An SUV load of stuff gone to be sold online. The garage sale helped us get rid of some stuff, including the big kid loft bed/desk/dressers combo I had been dragging around for 8 years. The little girl who got it was SOOOO excited when they came to pick it up.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Spent the weekend on a road trip with my eldest to visit a long-time friend I originally met on BYC and followed here. Earlier in the year I scored a case of canning lids that we took to her. Just in the nick of time, mind you. Lolol.

Got to play around in the garden, picked okra to bring home. Great times.
Oh, forgot to mention, the wife sent MULTIPLE pictures of the EXACT Martha White products I was requested to bring home, including a separate request for Williams sausage patties.

As a good husband, mission accomplished. Lol

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only “rescue” I’ll get from is actually a wildlife rescue that will take in water fowl and rabbits as well. They don’t do any of the random back ground questions and all that mess. I believe they started having people sign a paper saying they adopted a rabbit for a while, but that was just to keep their records straight. The animals come as they are, but that’s expected. Some are in perfect condition and just flew away from their homes, some had rough lives.
Goat and livestock rescues on the other hand? I’ve seen them trying to sell a pair of old whethers for 200 apiece and their paper work was more invasive than it had any right to be.