Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are about 1100 ft, the start of the Appalachian foothills to the E/SE and about 90 minutes W/SW it's flat plains. The lake is to the north. Your question is a good one, I am not sure of the answer. Lolol.

I'd loom at a topographical map, even using that option on Google maps. Don't have to be low, just lower than surrounding areas, like we are.

We just dont have a risk of house flooding because the ponds will breach the beaver dams well before that.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh bother.

How high is the risk that the house floods? :hide

it would take a very major storm to be anything i'd worry about. the floor here is about 4ft above grade. if the crawlspace floods it would be some damage to the furnace but as long as we have power the sump pump should be able to keep up with anything that comes in via the footing drains or vents if they can't hoild back the water enough and it gets through.

here is more information than you probably want to know, but there are some pictures of past events and showing some of the water works that i've put in. right now i'm also working on yet more layers too so that i hope will help for the coming season. i'm getting too much water coming off the front that ends up in the north garden and it's staying too wet in there.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a friend who swears by sweet meats. So I'm going to try them.

I grew up eating butternut so it's one of those foods that bring back memories. At the store I usually buy acorn just because they are easier to deal with.

that looks like a type of kabocha squash, which is also good as we grow some that look like that here:

DSC_20211006_130519-0400_1127_Squash_Table_thm.jpg

DSC_20211006_130736-0400_1129_Squash_Floor_thm.jpg

some of these i don't even know what they are since they just showed up this year, likely from a cross between the Baby Blue Hubbard and some other squash. and this was also the fiirst year i grew some hulless green seeded kind that turned out to be really easy to grow and good when roasted.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
it would take a very major storm to be anything i'd worry about. the floor here is about 4ft above grade. if the crawlspace floods it would be some damage to the furnace but as long as we have power the sump pump should be able to keep up with anything that comes in via the footing drains or vents if they can't hoild back the water enough and it gets through.

here is more information than you probably want to know, but there are some pictures of past events and showing some of the water works that i've put in. right now i'm also working on yet more layers too so that i hope will help for the coming season. i'm getting too much water coming off the front that ends up in the north garden and it's staying too wet in there.

Good!

Stuff like flooding always worries me

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
that looks like a type of kabocha squash, which is also good as we grow some that look like that here:

DSC_20211006_130519-0400_1127_Squash_Table_thm.jpg

DSC_20211006_130736-0400_1129_Squash_Floor_thm.jpg

some of these i don't even know what they are since they just showed up this year, likely from a cross between the Baby Blue Hubbard and some other squash. and this was also the fiirst year i grew some hulless green seeded kind that turned out to be really easy to grow and good when roasted.

That looks so nice!

Ive bought kabocha several times from the local asian markets. I think it's a pretty versatile squash for adding to dishes.

I had to pick some of the pie pumpkins before they turned orange because frost mushed the vines.

20211009_103923.jpg

These are the baked potato squash. They start white, then turn tan.

20211009_120625.jpg

Yes they are still dirty. I was just trying to get them picked before the rain. I'll clean them up tomorrow or Monday.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
good morning all. Almost done with second cup of coffee. It's daylight now, I'm going to get outside pretty soon, feed, water and hay the sheep, then work at getting the rest of the weed cloth and paper feed sacks that we put under the weed cloth, up, in trash bags and gone. Got to pick up the bricks that holds it all down. Already done 2 strips, on the last one. Then I can turn the sheep in to eat all those bodacious weeds, and the ragweed that is 7' tall now.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Oh boy, hope this isn't a harbinger of today's progress. The wife came to bed last night saying the coffee was set up for the morning. So I pushed the button and waited...and waited....and waited. She never put the water in. :D