Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Na, we don't need a cafe

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Huh... I thought doing it like that made it ricotta.

:idunno

I would just drain, and use as a spreadable cheese. So no I did not add half and half or cream.

You don't have to use vinegar, you can use any acid. So lemon juice is a nice choice.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep. I leave it a little less drained and use just as ricotta. Let's see, a quart of ricotta is $5+ right now...my milk is "free" because she'd have to be fed anyway....I'm good with it! :old

ETA...this farmers cheese can be seasoned, and or rolled in herbs, fruits/jams. Etc for a great eat and lovely gift. It's just over $1 per ounce here for plain.

Last edited:

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Yep. I leave it a little less drained and use just as ricotta. Let's see, a quart of ricotta is $5+ right now...my milk is "free" because she'd have to be fed anyway....I'm good with it! :old

ETA...this farmers cheese can be seasoned, and or rolled in herbs, fruits/jams. Etc for a great eat and lovely gift. It's just over $1 per ounce here for plain.
Thanks for the hack! Its impossible to find ricotta without thickeners and stabilizers added!

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I’m missing having my own milk right now 🤣 darn lactose intolerant children! (A milk sheep is on the maybe list for the future though!)
You should try different milks with them.

Sometimes raw milk is ok since it comes with its own enzymes.

And goat milk is incredibly different from cow milk. Also, homegrown goat milk is vastly different from store bought goat milk. And of course sheep is different from goat. I really wanted a milk sheep (I prefer sheep cheese over goat cheese), but milk sheep are not easy to find.

Also.... one of my kids that I thought had issues with milk.... turns out he is celiac. We took gluten out of his diet, and after 2 months of healing time, he was able to gorge on all the milk he wanted.

And sorry if you have already heard all that and tried all that. I don't mean to push.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
no worries! I had milk goats, they couldn’t drink the milk. Milk sheep are easy to find here fortunately, so if I ever decide to try that part won’t be an issue!

DH seems to have gluten issues. I have to do some creative cooking to sort out who can’t eat what. DD1 seems to be able to eat anything, she’s the only one.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
no worries! I had milk goats, they couldn’t drink the milk. Milk sheep are easy to find here fortunately, so if I ever decide to try that part won’t be an issue!

DH seems to have gluten issues. I have to do some creative cooking to sort out who can’t eat what. DD1 seems to be able to eat anything, she’s the only one.
It is all ... uh... a fact finding detective game?

Celiac child would react to the milk if I fed the goats too much gluten. That surprised me. The milk is made from the blood.... so how does the gluten go from the feed, to the blood stream, and then the milk? But.... clearly it does.

It was definitely more difficult to find fully gluten free goat feed.

Cow milk from the store (once we cut out gluten from celiac kid's diet), didn't bother him, and you KNOW those cattle must be fed gluten. I suppose the pasteurization denatures any gluten?

Anyway... all mind blowing trying to wade through all info to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Latest posts