SS Garden thread 2010, post your pics here!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
A place where everyone can come and post pictures of your garden this year.

I am sure some of you are as excited as I am to see pics of what other members are doing in their gardens.

Some members might not be able to garden and live through our photos here.

Here's mine as of first or second week of Jan.

765_p1011604.jpg

But it won't look like this for very long. :thumbsup

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Mine looks similar now, but with more ice and less snow :p

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine's got a foot of snow on it too. :( Can we put pics of last year's up to make us feel better and then replace them with 2010?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, mine is not nearly as beautiful as that one...gosh, I just love that snow...but then again I don't have to live in it, right? that's what I generally hear when i say I love it !

I have done a bit of lasagnanating on the beds. Both have cardboard and leaves, one has manure, peat and compost, one set of layers, and will have a second set today. I will also do a set of layers on the second bed if I hold up ! waiting for the rest of the fog to lift.

Picture480.jpg

The lettuce is almost gone. Gave it away because I just grew it to gain confidence. I don't like lettuce. The broccoli is too crowded and the heads are small. The gaps are thanks to the long gone gopher. The brussels sprouts in the background are going nuts, and I am just thrilled.

5 gallon buckets contain potatoes. Twin gray tubs contain onion sets.

Heavy rain predicted this week, so no planting in the beds for a while. Good headstart on the decomposition of the leaves anyway. May plant raspberries and blackberries though. They are ready to go in to some small beds on either side of the twin tubs, which rest on a small concrete slab.

I am just stunned that the peas, which are planted in coffee containers, have so many blossoms and pods forming. It's going to be a great crop!

Picture481.jpg

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those things up on the saw horses are peas? Wow! They look great!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
It would be a real encouragement to first timers like me if you would do that....seriously.

meriruka said:
Mine's got a foot of snow on it too. :( Can we put pics of last year's up to make us feel better and then replace them with 2010?

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you ! I had them trellissed, but they preferred to grow horizontally, so I moved them up to the table so I wouldn't have to bend so far down !

meriruka said:
Those things up on the saw horses are peas? Wow! They look great!

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think my pics would be more of a discouragement, at least you can see what not to do....:p
Here's the beginning of the season: little herb garden in the foreground, strawberries, blueberries, flowers in the smaller fenced-in area & veggies to go in the big area:
286_p1010211.jpg

A little way into the season, spring veggies in the one half and the other half to be used for fall + the herb garden going nicely:
286_p1010135.jpg

286_p1010134.jpg

After this it got completely out of hand, all I can say is it's all too easy to be sitting on your recently aquired used tractor and feel all big & bad, digging up everything in sight because you can and completely forget about the insane amount of weeding that comes next.....

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Goodness yes, I got a 1954 International Super C and 48 inch box tiller and was trying to get down with being a farmer, lol. Though I was taking it some what serous, but I have fun on the tractor tilling the soil over before I do it by hand. I will need to plow my soil in the fall this year.

d-1.jpg

ldychef here is a link to a video I made on how I grow potatoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGBdHls9zzk