SS Garden thread 2010, post your pics here!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ldy your garden is just amazing this year. Those sunflowers must be over 10 feet tall.

Where do you plan to put these new beds your talking about?

Only if my children would let me use the whole yard. ;)

g

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Lady, if you have too much I am sure there is a food pantry that would love your excess :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Tank, they are pretty close to 12, as that portion of the fence is 6 1/2 feet and when I stand up next to them, at 5'8" I am dwarfed. I am just stunned by them. Sure has kept the kids interested in the garden ! They can't wait to have sunflower seeds! When they are done, and the corn is done, I am going to take all the stalks and make a big teepee in the back yard for them.

This is only half of the yard. See the chain link fencing? That divides the lawn area from the garden area. The lawn has been covered with black plastic for several months to kill the so-called "lawn". I am salvaging the wood from the roof to build ten more beds, 4x8 or so, where the plastic is. Actually, I think you can see a corner of it in the picture, on the left, looking through the PVC A-frame.

The current garden is 2450 square feet, but taking away the wood pile and the compost, it is more like 2000. The black plastic yard is 25x50 of plantable space, so an additional 1250 square feet, total of 3700 by this time next year. I can't wait to have one bed per crop. Mixing them was a bad idea, especially squash. I had no idea they would spread out so much. Lesson learned.

Wife, I use FreeCycle, mostly because they kept me in food last year when things were pretty bad. I put together mixed bags of squash and cukes, mostly. I will be canning tomatoes definitely.

This part of California is highly agricultural, and growers are extremely generous with their leftovers. We have a main clearinghouse for extra produce, which is enormous. From there, it is distributed to more than 75 locations in the county, spread out through the month. There is always waste, as there is so much food donated that people dont' take it all.

Side note: I hope the three kinds of watermelons I put in are going to produce. The Charleston's are looking very good, the (something) sweets are slow, and the moon and stars are just starting to take off. My hope is that if I get some good melons by the time the roof is done and the patio is cleaned up, to invite friends and family over for a "thank you for your support" watermelon tasting.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Lovely! Stupendous! Amazing! What a blessing to you and others! Seeing your photos just made me grin :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It seems it was just yesterday, ok maybe last year, when you posted pictures of your first garden. Now look at you go. I can't wait to see the new beds.

We have a couple fruit & veggie vendors who come to our market with food from your area. I am torn because I know its organic but it's really not local for me. I feel bad for not buying from our local farmers. But I can't find them. I figure if the farmer from you valley travels as far south as North County San Diego he deserves my business. :idunno

That's great that the have a surplus outlet. I would be in canning heaven. :D

gina

RudeKittyLuvsTesla

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I hope this is the place for this. I am digging TanksHill's cabbage picture. No matter what I try, mine are like little softballs. What are you doing for such beautiful cabbage?