SS Garden thread 2010, post your pics here!!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We had market this afternoon and I didn't even care it was raining. Beekissed, I love the clover between the rows, but I can't get my husband to do it. He likes to till up the whole garden and not just a row at a time. What's a body to do? :th

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee does clover require a lot of water? I wonder if I threw a bunch in my yard if it would eventually take over? Grass just does not survive the summer here.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I too LOVE the clover paths! That is what I try my best to accomplish as well. Dutch clover does require some water, but it is deep rooted and fixes nitrogen into the soil, as well as providing bee food.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It doesn't seem to, Tank, as I have sown it all over my bare spots and we have had very little rain this spring...the clover is green and thriving, as you can tell by the pics.

KC, after he has everything plowed up, hilled up and hoed out...broadcast some clover in between your rows. The clover is a legume and will fix nitrogen into your soils and provide this nutrient to your plants. Also helps retain moisture in your soils and keeps your topsoil from washing away, keeps your shoes from getting muddy.

When your garden is done, don't plow and just sow some more clover and some winter wheat over your garden. Next spring your hubby will see this beautiful, emerald landscape that tills easily and returns the green manure to your rows. Just think....no muddy shoes when you go in the garden! Just a little damp from the dew but no mud.... :D

@thefunnyfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am interested in the clover idea also. does it grow tall like grass do you just mow it. do you keep set rows all the time and clover staysin between, need details howto do:D

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Dutch clover seed used to be easy to find. Every seed store, garden center and farm store carried it. Then somehow people stopped planting it and began spraying to kill it from their lawns. Stupid people. Now the seed is "high as a cat's back" and hard to find. I am planning on ordering some more on line as soon as I can afford to.

It amazes me how people want to have a mono-culture lawn and then spend lots of money spreading chemicals on it to give the lawn the nitrogen that the clover used to deliver for free.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
@thefunnyfarm said:
I am interested in the clover idea also. does it grow tall like grass do you just mow it. Do you keep set rows all the time and clover stays in between, need details how to do:D
I finally had to cut mine a little because the red clover had taken over, it is much taller than the DW clover. The yellow is even taller yet and grew to around 2 ft. tall! It has a beautiful yellow spike formation of blossom and smells very sweet.

The DW is shorter and would probably not need cutting at all in order to walk through it.

I keep set rows all the time and will probably continue to do so. The permanent pathways are a great place for earthworms to live in your garden, as this soil is undisturbed, cool and moist.

My mother sowed just the DW clover in her garden and it was a lovely, short and velvety cover this spring. Last year when she sowed it, it was even shorter and covered the ground well, not allowing for any serious weed formation in her garden. She was surprised and pleased with this.

I don't have a push mower and my scythe is very dull, so I just lightly weedeated the tops of my clover paths and raked the cut clover into my beds. I didn't want to cut too close in case this would let sunlight into the soil and promote any weed seed germination in these areas. The clover is truly a great "cover" crop as it grows very dense if seeded properly.

After the garden is done, I will overseed my beds with winter wheat. The combination of clover and wheat should make for an interesting striped affect and the sheep will LOVE rotating through this paddock this winter. Come spring I can till the wheat in and my beds will have had their first "green manure" application.

LOVE the use of cover crops and wonder why in the world I never tried them before this! :)

Farm, I got my seed from the local feed store(in bulk and cheaper) and Southern States. DW clover was the cheapest of all the types and 3 lbs. of seed was around $18. 3 lbs of seed goes a long way when it comes to clover!