SS Garden thread 2011, post your pics here!!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I was mistaken earlier, DAFFODILS are poking up!!!!

2768_daffodils.jpg

I'm A Gardener :)

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'll join!!!! This year I'm planning on growing a carnation garden and harvesting the seeds, and selling the flowers, and starting more plants from those seeds. Have you guys ever tried sowing seeds in egg shells? I saw it in a Martha Stewart Magazine and though it was a cool idea.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Unless you have rather big eggshells, I found they don't really hold enough soil. You pretty much have to transplant them as soon as they sprout. At least that was my experience.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i check every day now that the snow line is receeding (weve still got alot of coverage over most of the garden but were getting there) looking for any sign of life (yes i know im early lol)
but the iris are definatly popping newer green above the soil line and theres definate leafe buds on my honeysuckle :p

today i made a list of all the veggies we want to try and grow this year and started planning our square foot beds...
we still need to decide where to put them though, mum wanted them in an unusuaed area behind the house but its mostly shaded by the house back there so i need to figure out something to do back there to make it nice and a new place to put the Sqft beds where there not going to eb acessed by the chickens when they are free ranging LOL.

this year is going to be ALOT of tidying, splitting, seed saving and cutting takings as my parents are now also talking about moving out of ct (taxes going up) and even if they dont, i spent a small fortune on plants for this garden and want to be able to take some when i move next year if we dont go before then as a family.

i LOVE spring and seeing everyones gardens makes me happy!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Sigh, about 4 more inches of snow coming...... I am closer to starting some seeds though. :cool:

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a section of the yard fenced off for the garden to keep the chooks from getting to it. I started with one raised bed and added a second last year. There was room in between them for a third and I toyed with the idea of adding one more bed. The decision was made last week when I saw an ad on Craigslist for some "free fill". Turns out the fill is way good quality top soil and this guy is willing to give me tons of it. He is excavating his basement so he digs and puts it in buckets, then carries it out and helps me load it! I made a new raised bed with the highest walls of any of them and have it almost full. Time to start the seeds indoors so I'll be ready to plan after the last frost. I'm so excited to get my garden started for this year!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We had sunshine today, but I was busy with the goats. Soon I hope to be able to do some more planting.

and hope to post some nice spring pictuers for you all to dream about :lol:

ohiogoatgirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiogoatgirl said:
it is february and in ohio that means the snow melts and as soon as you see mud or plants it snow storms again...
well this past week has been 40s at night and 60s during the day... this is mid april weather!!! and 40s at night!!! we get nights colder then that in july!

:barnie SOMEONE MAKE MOTHER NATURE STOP TAUNTING ME!!!! :barnie

i've been planning the garden since last summer when i didnt get to garden (was living with mom, now live with dad). have to get on dads butt to order the seeds already!!! i need to start plants!

can't wait! :weee
:weee can't wait!
i knew it was too good to last... :(
today it started snowing and little hail and spitting rain.... :hit

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'll have to get some pics of the daffodils in bloom around here for you guys! All that snow makes me want to get a spray can of paint and paint it green!!! :th :lol:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
ohiogoatgirl said:
ohiogoatgirl said:
it is february and in ohio that means the snow melts and as soon as you see mud or plants it snow storms again...
well this past week has been 40s at night and 60s during the day... this is mid april weather!!! and 40s at night!!! we get nights colder then that in july!

:barnie SOMEONE MAKE MOTHER NATURE STOP TAUNTING ME!!!! :barnie

i've been planning the garden since last summer when i didnt get to garden (was living with mom, now live with dad). have to get on dads butt to order the seeds already!!! i need to start plants!

can't wait! :weee
:weee can't wait!
i knew it was too good to last... :(
today it started snowing and little hail and spitting rain.... :hit
Ice, ice, and more ice here......

Latest posts